International Journal of Biomedicine. 2020;10(2):112-115.
Originally published June 15, 2020.
Background: A decreased concentration of luteinizing hormone (LH) in women of late reproductive age contributes to disorder in adequate steroidogenesis and impairs oocyte/embryo quality, which results in fewer embryos suitable for cryopreservation, a lower implantation rate, and increased rate of early miscarriage. The purpose of our study was a retrospective analysis of the effectiveness of applying exogenous LH (urinary and recombinant) in ART programs in women of late reproductive age with previous IVF failures.
Methods and Results: We studied how adding exogenous LH (urinary and recombinant) from Days 2-3 and 6-7 of menstrual cycle in ovulatory stimulation affects the outcomes of in vitro fertilization cycles. The study included 324 women (mean age of 35.7±3.8 years) receiving treatment for tubal-peritoneal infertility as part of IVF programs. All patients were divided into 4 groups depending on the stimulation day (Day 2-3 or Day 6-7) when exogenous LH-based inductor (human menopausal gonadotropin or recombinant LH) was added. In patients with a risk of "poor response," supplementing rLH at the initial stages of folliculogenesis (Day 2-3 of menstrual cycle) promotes optimization of oogenesis processes, obtaining a high percentage of good quality embryos (78%) and increasing pregnancy rate (30%). The good quality frozen embryos obtained in stimulation with recombinant LH and human menopausal gonadotropin added, had the same good quality and provided the PR comparable to transfer of fresh embryos.
Conclusion: It is possible that LH injection restores the microenvironment of developing follicles in women of late reproductive age, which is reasonable for the patients studied.
- Boyarsky KIu, Gaidukov SN. [Folliculogenesis: from antral stage to ovulation (a review)]. Problemy reproduktsii [Russian Journal of Human Reproduction]. 2010; 16(5):13–23. [Article in Russian].
- Ermolenko KS, Radzinsky VE, Rapoport SI. [State of-the-art of realization of the fertility potential in the women of late reproductive age]. Klin Med (Mosk). 2016; 94(1):10-16. [Article in Russian].
- Labygina AV, Suturina LV, Kolesnikova LI, Darzhaev ZY, Dashiyev BG. [The reproductive health of native and outside the population of the eastern Siberia]. Zdravookhraneniye Rossiyskoy Federatsii. 2013;3:37-39. [Article in Russian].
- Vuong TN, Phung HT, Ho MT. Recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone and recombinant luteinizing hormone versus recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone alone during GnRH antagonist ovarian stimulation in patients aged ≥35 years: a randomized controlled trial. Hum Reprod. 2015;30(5):1188-95. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dev038.
- Protopopova NV, Dudakova VN, Druzhinina EB, Labygina AV, Boldonova NA, Krylova KV. The Effectiveness of In Vitro Fertilization Programs in Patients with Low Anti-Müllerian Hormone Levels. Doctor.Ru. 2018;10(154):7–9. doi: 10.31550/1727-2378-2018-154-10-7-9
- Younis JS, Ben-Ami M, Ben-Shlomo I. The Bologna criteria for poor ovarian response: a contemporary critical appraisal. J Ovarian Res. 2015;8:76. doi: 10.1186/s13048-015-0204-9.
- Matorras R, Prieto B, Exposito A, Mendoza R, Crisol L, Herranz P, Burques S. Mid-follicular LH supplementation in women aged 35–39 years undergoing ICSI cycles: a randomized controlled study. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009;19(6):879–87.
- Briggs R, Kovacs G, MacLachlan V, Motteram C, Baker HW. Can you ever collect too many oocytes? Hum Reprod. 2015;30(1):81-7. doi: 10.1093/humrep/deu272.
- Pezzuto A, Ferrari B, Coppola F, Nardelli GB. LH supplementation in down-regulated women undergoing assisted reproduction with baseline low serum LH levels. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2010;26(2):118-24. doi: 10.3109/09513590903215516.
- Mamedova NR, Nazarenko TA, Monakhova IV. Preparations containing the luteinizing hormone in assisted reproduction (a review). Problemy reproduktsii (Russian Journal of Human Reproduction). 2011;17(3):50-55.
- Esteves SC, Alviggi C. The Role of LH in Controlled Ovarian Stimulation. Principles and Practice of Controlled Ovarian Stimulation in ART. 2015:171-196
- Spencer JB, Browne AS, Copland SD, Session DR. Discontinuation of rLH two days before hCG may increase the number of oocytes retrieved in IVF. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2010;8:29. doi: 10.1186/1477-7827-8-29.
Received March 17, 2020.
Accepted April 6, 2020.
©2020 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.