International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(4):515-518.
Originally published December 10, 2021
The objective of this study was to determine uterine fibroids (UF) prevalence in the unselected (medically unbiased) female population in the Eastern Siberia region, Russia, and to evaluate the significant risk factors.
Methods and Results: The study included 2389 women aged from 18 to 80 yrs (mean age of 42.8±11.9 yrs). Subjects were evaluated consecutively by means of questionnaires, anthropometry, vital signs, gynecological examination, and pelvic ultrasound. We demonstrated 26.41% UF prevalence in the unselected female population from Eastern Siberia. We found that the single nodules predominate among all fibroids, with the types 3–5 and the size of either ≤1 cm or ≥4 cm as the most frequent variants. Our study confirmed that the prevalence of fibroids increases with age. The incidence of fibroids is significantly lower in women with the age at menarche of 15 years. We also have found that a BMI of more than 25 kg/m2, more than 4 pregnancies, and late menopause are risk factors for the development of fibroids.
- Ahrendt HJ, Tylkoski H, Rabe T, Szczes A, Friedrich C, Roehl FW, Kitay A, Roemer T, Foth D. Prevalence of uterine myomas in women in Germany: data of an epidemiological study. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2016 Jun;293(6):1243-53. doi: 10.1007/s00404-015-3930-8.
- Drayer SM, Catherino WH. Prevalence, morbidity, and current medical management of uterine leiomyomas. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2015 Nov;131(2):117-22. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2015.04.051.
- Giuliani E, As-Sanie S, Marsh EE. Epidemiology and management of uterine fibroids. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020 Apr;149(1):3-9. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.13102.
- Suturina L, Lizneva D, Lazareva L, Negative association between PCOS and risk of uterine leiyomyomas in Caucasian infertile women. Reprod Sci 2016; 23: 51A-344A.
- Laughlin SK, Baird DD, Savitz DA, Herring AH, Hartmann KE. Prevalence of uterine leiomyomas in the first trimester of pregnancy: an ultrasound-screening study. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Mar;113(3):630-635. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e318197bbaf.
- Marsh EE, Al-Hendy A, Kappus D, Galitsky A, Stewart EA, Kerolous M. Burden, Prevalence, and Treatment of Uterine Fibroids: A Survey of U.S. Women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2018 Nov;27(11):1359-1367. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2018.7076.
- Martín-Merino E, Wallander MA, Andersson S, Soriano-Gabarró M, Rodríguez LA. The reporting and diagnosis of uterine fibroids in the UK: an observational study. BMC Womens Health. 2016 Jul 25;16:45. doi: 10.1186/s12905-016-0320-8.
- Sparic R, Mirkovic L, Malvasi A, Tinelli A. Epidemiology of Uterine Myomas: A Review. Int J Fertil Steril. 2016 Jan-Mar;9(4):424-35. doi: 10.22074/ijfs.2015.4599.
- Stewart EA, Cookson CL, Gandolfo RA, Schulze-Rath R. Epidemiology of uterine fibroids: a systematic review. BJOG. 2017 Sep;124(10):1501-1512. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.14640.
- Styer AK, Rueda BR. The Epidemiology and Genetics of Uterine Leiomyoma. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2016 Jul;34:3-12. doi: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2015.11.018.
- Suturina LV, Sklyar NV, Labygina AV, Kovalenko II, Ilyin VP, Sholokhov LF. Hormonal and metabolic markers of disordered reproductive function in females with uterine myoma. Doctor.ru. 2009;50:18–21.
- Tsyrenov TB, Darzhayev Z, Suturina LV, , Labygina AV, Pavlova VP, et al.. Hormone-dependent gynecological diseases in infertile women from main ethnic groups of Buryat Republic. Acta Biomedica Scientifica. 2013; 4(92): 74-76. ‘Article in Russian].
- Pavone D, Clemenza S, Sorbi F, Fambrini M, Petraglia F. Epidemiology and Risk Factors of Uterine Fibroids. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2018 Jan;46:3-11. doi: 10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2017.09.004.
- Velez Edwards DR, Baird DD, Hartmann KE. Association of age at menarche with increasing number of fibroids in a cohort of women who underwent standardized ultrasound assessment. Am J Epidemiol. 2013 Aug 1;178(3):426-33. doi: 10.1093/aje/kws585.
- Wise LA, Laughlin-Tommaso SK. Epidemiology of Uterine Fibroids: From Menarche to Menopause. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Mar;59(1):2-24. doi: 10.1097/GRF.0000000000000164.
- Atalyan AV, Kolesnikova LI, Kolesnikov SI, Grjibovski AM and Suturina LV. Research electronic data capture (redcap) for building and managing databases for populationbased biomedical studies. Human Ecology 2019;(2):52–59.[Article in Russian[.
- Munro MG, Critchley HO, Broder MS, Fraser IS; FIGO Working Group on Menstrual Disorders. FIGO classification system (PALM-COEIN) for causes of abnormal uterine bleeding in nongravid women of reproductive age. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011 Apr;113(1):3-13. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2010.11.011.
Received October 2, 2021.
Accepted October 21, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.