International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(2):218-221.
Originally published June 5, 2022
Background: The aim of this research was to study the features of changes in the parameters of heart remodeling in patients with coronary heart disease (CHD) and chronic heart failure (CHF), depending on the degree of renal dysfunction (RD).
Methods and Results: The study included 150 CHD patients with NYHA functional class (FC) I-IIII of CHF. All examined patients were subdivided according to the level of eGFR: Group A included 81 patients with CHF FCI-III and eGFRCKD-EPI>60 mL/min per 1.73m2; Group B included 69 patients with CHF FCI-III and eGFRCKD-EPI≤60 mL/min per 1.73m2. It was found an increase in left ventricular (LV) mass in Group B by 11.4%, compared to Group A (P=0.000). Analysis of LV systolic function showed that in Group B, values of LF ejection fraction and fractional shortening were significantly lower than in Group A (47.64±0.61% vs. 52.7±0.28%, and 25.40±0.46% vs. 28.23±0.25%, respectively, P=0.000). Thus, in Group B, we found CHFrEF, compared to Group A with CHFpEF. Analysis of diastolic function revealed that in Group B, the E/A ratio was statistically higher than in Group A (1.12±0.05 vs. 0.81±0.04, respectively, P=0.000). At the same time, in Group B, values of IVRT and DT were significantly lower than in Group A (85.01±0.8 ms vs. 91.25±0.99 ms, and 177.8±2.1 ms vs. 197.5±2.07 ms, respectively, P=0.000). Thus, the signs of the impaired relaxation (Grade 1 DD) and the pseudonormal filling pattern (Grade 2 DD) were found in Group A and Group B, respectively.
Conclusion: RD in patients with CHF is an important factor in the significant deterioration of LV systolic and diastolic functions.
- Russian Society of Cardiology (RSC). [2020 Clinical practice guidelines for Chronic heart failure]. Russian Journal of Cardiology. 2020;25(11):4083. doi: 10.15829/1560-4071-2020-4083.[In Russian].
- Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JG, Coats AJ, et al.; Authors/Task Force Members; Document Reviewers. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016 Aug;18(8):891-975. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.592.
- Agostoni P, Paolillo S, Mapelli M, Gentile P, Salvioni E, Veglia F, et al. Multiparametric prognostic scores in chronic heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: a long-term comparison. Eur J Heart Fail. 2018 Apr;20(4):700-710. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.989.
- Reznik EV, Nikitin IG. Cardiorenal syndrome in patients with chronic heart failure as a stage of the cardiorenal continuum (Part I): definition, classification, pathogenesis, diagnosis, epidemiology. The Russian Archives of Internal Medicine. 2019;1(45):522.
- Rutherford E, Mark PB. What happens to the heart in chronic kidney disease? J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2017 Mar;47(1):76-82. doi: 10.4997/JRCPE.2017.117.
- Scurt FG, Kuczera T, Mertens PR, Chatzikyrkou C. [The Cardiorenal Syndrome]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2019 Jul;144(13):910-916. doi: 10.1055/a-0768-5899. [Article in German].
- Moiseev VC, Mukhin NA, Smirnov AV, Kobalava JD, Bobkova IN, Villevalde SV, et al. [Cardiovascular risk and chronic kidney disease: cardio-nephroprotection strategies]. Russian Journal of Cardiology. 2014;(8):7-37. doi: 10.15829/1560-4071-2014-8-7-37. [Article in Russian].
- Canepa M, Fonseca C, Chioncel O, Laroche C, Crespo-Leiro MG, Coats AJS, Mebazaa A, Piepoli MF, Tavazzi L, Maggioni AP; ESC HF Long Term Registry Investigators. Performance of Prognostic Risk Scores in Chronic Heart Failure Patients Enrolled in the European Society of Cardiology Heart Failure Long-Term Registry. JACC Heart Fail. 2018 Jun;6(6):452-462. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2018.02.001.
- Wettersten N, Maisel AS, Cruz DN. Toward Precision Medicine in the Cardiorenal Syndrome. Advances in chronic kidney disease. 2018;25(5):418-24. doi:10.1053/j. ackd.2018.08.017.
- Devereux RB, de Simone G, Ganau A, Roman MJ. Left ventricular hypertrophy and geometric remodeling in hypertension: stimuli, functional consequences and prognostic implications. J Hypertens Suppl. 1994 Dec;12(10):S117-27.
- Mareev VYu, Fomin IV, Ageev FT, Begrambekova YuL, Vasyuk YuA, Garganeeva AA, et al.; Russian Heart Failure Society, Russian Society of Cardiology. Russian Scientific Medical Society of Internal Medicine Guidelines for Heart failure: chronic (CHF) and acute decompensated (ADHF). Diagnosis, prevention and treatment. Kardiologiia. 2018;58(6S):8-158. doi: 10.18087/cardio.2475. [In Russian].
- Levey AS, Stevens LA, Schmid CH, Zhang YL, Castro AF 3rd, Feldman HI, et al.; CKD-EPI (Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration). A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med. 2009 May 5;150(9):604-12. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-150-9-200905050-00006. Erratum in: Ann Intern Med. 2011 Sep 20;155(6):408. PMID: 19414839; PMCID: PMC2763564.
Received April 11, 2022.
Accepted May 17, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.