International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(3):404-408.
Originally published September 5, 2022
The article presents a morphological evaluation of the effectiveness of the use of silver sulfathiazole (SST) in the local treatment of trophic ulcers in patients with diabetic foot syndrome (DFS). It has been shown that the use of SST in local therapy in DFS patients can improve the course of the wound process and stimulate regeneration processes. The quantitative discrepancies that were found in the expression levels of CD68+ macrophages, depending on the nature of the local therapy in DFS patients, are a diagnostic criterion for the clinical efficacy of using SST in the complex treatment of this category of patients.
1. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 10th edition. Brussels,
Belgium: 2021. Available at: https://diabetesatlas.org/atlas/tenth-edition/
2. Shapoval SD, Аlypova ОE, Тrybushnyi ОV, Vasylevska LA. [Complex treatment of the diabetic foot syndrome: a view from principles of physical and rehabilitation medicine]. Klinichna Khirurhiia. 2018; May;85(5):70–73. doi: 10.26779/2522 -1396.2018.05.70. [Article in Ukrainian].
3. Causey MW, Ahmed A, Wu B, Gasper WJ, Reyzelman A, Vartanian SM, Hiramoto JS, Conte MS. Society for Vascular Surgery limb stage and patient risk correlate with outcomes in an amputation prevention program. J Vasc Surg. 2016 Jun;63(6):1563–1573.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2016.01.011.
4. van Netten JJ, Lazzarini PA, Armstrong DG, Bus SA, Fitridge R, Harding K, Kinnear E, Malone M, Menz HB, Perrin BM, Postema K, Prentice J, Schott KH, Wraight PR. Diabetic Foot Australia guideline on footwear for people with diabetes. J Foot Ankle Res. 2018 Jan 15;11:2. doi: 10.1186/s13047-017-0244-z. PMID: 29371890; PMCID: PMC5769299.
5. Guthrie HC, Clasper JC. Historical origins and current concepts of wound debridement. J R Army Med Corps. 2011 Jun;157(2):130-2. doi: 10.1136/jramc-157-02-01. PMID: 21805760.
6. Boniakowski AE, Kimball AS, Jacobs BN, Kunkel SL, Gallagher KA. Macrophage-Mediated Inflammation in Normal and Diabetic Wound Healing. J Immunol. 2017 Jul 1;199(1):17-24. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1700223. PMID: 28630109.
7. Barman PK, Koh TJ. Macrophage Dysregulation and Impaired Skin Wound Healing in Diabetes. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020 Jun 26;8:528. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.00528. PMID: 32671072; PMCID: PMC7333180.
8. Umerov EE. [Specifics of morphological structure of the skin in ischemic trophic ulcers in view of macrophage activity of inflammatory infiltrate. World of Medicine and Biology]. 2013;4:89–91. [Article in Russian].
9. Izosimov VV, Umerov EE, Grivenko SG. [Peculiarities of vasotrophic ulcers healing processes in chronic venous insufficiency of lower extremities with multicomponent complex treatment]. Tavricheskiy Mediko-Biologicheskiy Vestnik. 2017;20(2):63–70. [Article in Russian].
10. Grivenko SG, Izosimov VV, Umerov EE. [Alternatives options to improve integrated treatment of trophic ulcers of venous etiology and assessment of its effectiveness]. Medical Herald of the South of Russia. 2017;8(4):36-46. doi: 10.21886/2219-8075-2017-8-4-36-46 [Article in Russian].
11. Zaytseva EL, Doronina LP, Molchkov RV, Voronkova IA, Tokmakova AY. [The morphological characteristic of tissue repair in patients with neuropathic and neuroischemic forms of diabetic foot syndrome]. Diabetes Mellitus. 2015;18(4):66-71. doi: 10.14341/DM7587 [Article in Russian].
12. Katorkin SE, Bystrov SA, Bezborodov AI, Nazarov RM, Lisin OE, Lichman LA, Shestakov EV. [Application of silver sulfatiazole in the complex treatment of purulent wounds]. RMJ. 2017;28:2039–2042. [Article in Russian].
13. Rodin AV, Golub AV, Privolnev VV. [Topical administration of sulfathiazole silver in the treatment of chronic wounds]. RMJ. Medical Review. 2018;12:19–23. [Article in Russian].
14. Vinnik YuS, Serova EV, Kukonkov VA, Maksimov ML. [Possibilities of using sulfatiazole silver in surgery]. RMJ. 2017;8:529–532. [Article in Russian].
15. Stupin VA, Manturova NYe, Goryunov SV, Prividentsev AI, Aliyev SR. [Complex treatment for trophic ulcers and wounds in patients with diabetic foot]. RMJ. 2019;11:44–48. [Article in Russian].
16. Sapozhnikov AG, Doroshevich AE. Histological and Microscopic Technique: Manual. Smolensk: SAU; 2000. [in Russian].
17. Dabbs DJ. Diagnostic immunohistochemistry. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2006. doi:10.1016/B978-0-443-06652-8.50006-5
Received July 7, 2022.
Accepted August 13, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.