International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(3):417-422.
Originally published September 5, 2022
Background: Residual ridge resorption is a chronic, progressive, irreversible process, and poses a clinical challenge to finding the appropriate methods and treatments for edentulous patients. The aim of this study was to assess patients with an edentulous mandible with regards to the height and width dimensions in molar, premolar, and symphyseal regions using Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT).
Methods and Results: A CBCT was performed on 60 patients, edentulous for more than 5 years. The height of residual bone (RB) was measured on 7 sites of the mandible, whereas the width of RB was measured on 5 sites. The highest mean value of residual bone height (BH) was measured in the symphyseal region, while the lowest value was measured in the right side molar region. The highest mean value of residual bone width (BW) was measured in the symphyseal region, while the lowest value was measured in the right side premolar region. Male patients had significantly higher RB in the mandible. The residual BW was insignificantly higher in males than in females, excluding the symphyseal region.
Conclusion: Analysis of the characteristics of BH and BW by CBCT enables a dentist to achieve a higher degree of accuracy during the implant placement and to select the appropriate implant design.
- Limpuangthip N, Somkotra T, Arksornnuki M. Impacts of Denture Retention and Stability on Oral Health-Related Quality of Life, General Health, and Happiness in Elderly Thais. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res. 2019 Jul;2019(1):1-8. doi: 10.1155/2019/3830267.
- Singh OP, Kaur R, Nanda SM, Sethi E. Residual ridge resorption: A major oral disease entity in relation to bone density. Indian J Oral Sci. 2016 Jan;7(1):3-6. doi: 10.4103/0976-6944.176383.
- Atwood DA. Reduction of residual ridges: a major oral disease entity. J Prosthet Dent. 1971 Sep;26(3):266-79. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(71)90069-2.
- Tallgren A. The continuing reduction of the residual alveolar ridges in complete denture wearers: a mixed-longitudinal study covering 25 years. J Prosthet Dent. 1972 Feb;27(2):120-32. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(72)90188-6.
- Kovacić I, Celebić A, Zlatarić DK, Petricević N, Buković D, Bitanga P, Mikelić B, Tadin A, Mehulić K, Ognjenović M. Decreasing of residual alveolar ridge height in complete denture wearers. A five year follow up study. Coll Antropol. 2010 Sep;34(3):1051-6.
- Xie Q, Wolf J, Ainamo A. Quantitative assessment of vertical heights of maxillary and mandibular bones in panoramic radiographs of elderly dentate and edentulous subjects. Acta Odontol Scand. 1997 Jun;55(3):155-61. doi: 10.3109/00016359709115409.
- AlSheikh HA, AlZain S, Warsy A, AlMukaynizi F, AlThomali A. Mandibular residual ridge height in relation to age, gender and duration of edentulism in a Saudi population: A clinical and radiographic study. Saudi Dent J. 2019 Apr;31(2):258-264. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2018.12.006.
- Helal E, El-Zawahry M, Gouda A, Elkhadem AH, Ibrahim SI. Bone Height Changes of the Mandibular Edentulous Ridge in Screw Retained Versus Telescopic Restorations for Completely Edentulous Patients. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2017 Mar 15;5(1):72-78. doi: 10.3889/oamjms.2017.004.
- Maló P, Rangert B, Nobre M. "All-on-Four" immediate-function concept with Brånemark System implants for completely edentulous mandibles: a retrospective clinical study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2003;5 Suppl 1:2-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1708-8208.2003.tb00010.x.
- Sargozaie N, Moeintaghavi A, Shojaie H. Comparing the Quality of Life of Patients Requesting Dental Implants Before and After Implant. Open Dent J. 2017 Aug 31;11:485-491. doi: 10.2174/1874210601711010485.
- Kayal RA. Distortion of digital panoramic radiographs used for implant site assessment. J Orthod Sci. 2016 Oct-Dec;5(4):117-120. doi: 10.4103/2278-0203.192113.
- Mense C, Saliba-Serre B, Ferrandez AM, Hüe O, Ruquet M, Lalys L. Cone beam computed tomography analysis of the edentulous mandibular symphysis. J Dent Sci. 2021 Jan;16(1):115-122. doi: 10.1016/j.jds.2020.06.025.
- Wical KE, Swoope CC. Studies of residual ridge resorption. I. Use of panoramic radiographs for evaluation and classification of mandibular resorption. J Prosthet Dent. 1974 Jul;32(1):7-12. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(74)90093-6.
- Kovačić I, Knezović Zlatarić D, Celebić A. Residual ridge atrophy in complete denture wearers and relationship with densitometric values of a cervical spine: a hierarchical regression analysis. Gerodontology. 2012 Jun;29(2):e935-47. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2011.00589.x.
- Sağlam AA. The vertical heights of maxillary and mandibular bones in panoramic radiographs of dentate and edentulous subjects. Quintessence Int. 2002 Jun;33(6):433-8.
- Al-Jabrah O, Al-Shumailan Y. Association of complete denture wearing with the rate of reduction of mandibular residual ridge using digital panoramic radiography. Intern J Dent Res. 2013 Nov;2(1):20-25. doi: 10.14419/ijdr.v2i1.1669.
- Babu BD, Jain V, Pruthi G, Mangtani N, Pillai RS. Effect of denture soft liner on mandibular ridge resorption in complete denture wearers after 6 and 12 months of denture insertion: A prospective randomized clinical study. J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2017 Jul-Sep;17(3):233-238. doi: 10.4103/jips.jips_113_17.
- Al-Noori K, Said GA. The Effect of soft lining materials on mandibular residual ridge resorption for edentulous patient. Al Rafidain Dent J. 2013;13(1):66–71. doi: 10.33899/rden.2012.84681.
- Ozan O, Orhan K, Aksoy S, Icen M, Bilecenoglu B, Sakul BU. The effect of removable partial dentures on alveolar bone resorption: a retrospective study with cone-beam computed tomography. J Prosthodont. 2013 Jan;22(1):42-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-849X.2012.00877.x.
- Kuralt M, Selmani Bukleta M, Kuhar M, Fidler A. Bone and soft tissue changes associated with a removable partial denture. A novel method with a fusion of CBCT and optical 3D images. Comput Biol Med. 2019 May;108:78-84. doi:10.1016/j.compbiomed.2019.03.024.
- Antiua E, Escuer V, Alkhraisat MH. Short Narrow Dental Implants versus Long Narrow Dental Implants in Fixed Prostheses: A Prospective Clinical Study. Dent J (Basel). 2022 Mar 4;10(3):39. doi: 10.3390/dj10030039.
- Liang XH, Kim YM, Cho IH. Residual bone height measured by panoramic radiography in older edentulous Korean patients. J Adv Prosthodont. 2014 Feb;6(1):53-9. doi: 10.4047/jap.2014.6.1.53.
- Ural Ç, Bereket C, Sener I, Aktan AM, Akpinar YZ. Bone height measurement of maxillary and mandibular bones in panoramic radiographs of edentulous patients. J Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry. 2011 Feb;3(1):5-9. doi: 10.4317/jced.3.e5.
- Andrés-Veiga M, Barona-Dorado C, Martínez-González MJ, López-Quiles-Martínez J, Martínez-González JM. Influence of the patients' sex, type of dental prosthesis and antagonist on residual bone resorption at the level of the premaxilla. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2012 Jan 1;17(1):e178-82. doi: 10.4317/medoral.17079.
- Huumonen S, Haikola B, Oikarinen K, Söderholm AL, Remes-Lyly T, Sipilä K. Residual ridge resorption, lower denture stability and subjective complaints among edentulous individuals. J Oral Rehabil. 2012 May;39(5):384-90. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2842.2011.02284.x.
- Puspitadewi SR, Wulandari P, Masulili SLC, Auerkari EI, Iskandar HB, Yavuz I et al. The relation of follicle stimulating hormone and estrogen to mandibular alveolar bone resorption in postmenopausal women. Journal of International Dental and Medical Research. 2017;10(3):938-944.
- Pramstraller M, Schincaglia GP, Vecchiatini R, Farina R, Trombelli L. Alveolar ridge dimensions in mandibular posterior regions: a retrospective comparative study of dentate and edentulous sites using computerized tomography data. Surg Radiol Anat. 2018 Dec;40(12):1419-1428. doi: 10.1007/s00276-018-2095-0.
- Bressan E, Ferrarese N, Pramstraller M, Lops D, Farina R, Tomasi C. Ridge Dimensions of the Edentulous Mandible in Posterior Sextants: An Observational Study on Cone Beam Computed Tomography Radiographs. Implant Dent. 2017 Feb;26(1):66-72. doi: 10.1097/ID.0000000000000489.
Received July 6, 2022.
Accepted August 8, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.