International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(4):567-569.
Originally published December 5, 2022
The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence and causes of bile duct obstruction among patients with jaundice at the ultrasound departments in Riyadh hospitals.
Methods and Results: The study included 525 records of jaundiced patients above 18 years old that were referred to the ultrasound department. Data were collected from PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) at three different hospitals in Riyadh. Of 525 adult jaundiced patients, 69 had biliary obstruction, a 13% prevalence. In our study, 38(55.1%) cases of obstruction were caused by stones, 14(20.3%) by tumors, 9(13.0%) by inflammation, 5(7.2%) by a nonfunctioning stent, and 3(4.3%) by pnemobilia. Obstructive jaundice occurred significantly more frequently with increasing age. The study revealed no significant difference between gender and the presence of obstruction. More studies with a larger sample size of obstructive jaundice patients are suggested.
1. Spârchez Z, Radu P. Role of contrast enhanced ultrasound in the assessment of biliary duct disease. Med Ultrason. 2014 Mar;16(1):41-7. doi: 10.11152/mu.2014.2066.161.zs1pr2.
2. Dean D. Abdominal Ultrasound, and Instrumentation. Part 1, Module 4, 1st ed. The Burwin institute of diagnostic medical ultrasound. 2005, Luneburg; Canada.
3. Yarmohammadi H, Covey AM. Percutaneous biliary interventions and complications in malignant bile duct obstruction. Chin Clin Oncol. 2016 Oct;5(5):68. doi: 10.21037/cco.2016.10.07.
4. Jarnagin W, Blumgart L, Hann L, Belghiti J, Büchler M, Chapman W et al. Blumgart's surgery of the liver, biliary tract, and pancreas. 4th ed., 2012, Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders.
5. Sahani D, Samir A, Abdominal imaging, 1st ed. 2011, Maryland Heights, Mo: Saunders Elsevier.
6. Tazuma S. Gallstone disease: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, and classification of biliary stones (common bile duct and intrahepatic). Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2006;20(6):1075-83. doi: 10.1016/j.bpg.2006.05.009.
7. Naumowicz E, Białecki J, Kołomecki K. Results of treatment of patients with gallstone disease and ductal calculi by single-stage laparoscopic cholecystectomy and bile duct exploration. Wideochir Inne Tech Maloinwazyjne. 2014 Jun;9(2):179-89. doi: 10.5114/wiitm.2014.41629.
8. Yunfu Lv, Wan Yee Lau, Haiying Wu, Etiological Causes of Intrahepatic and Extrahepatic Bile Duct Dilatation. International Journal of New Technology and Research. 2015;8(1):53.
9. Calculator.net [Internet], Sample Size Calculator, Available from https://www.calculator.net/sample-size-calculator.html
10. Gameraddin M, Omer S, Salih S, Elsayed S, Alshaikh A, Sonographic Evaluation of Obstructive Jaundice. Open Journal of Medical Imaging. 2015;05(01):24-29.
Received August 6, 2022.
Accepted September 19, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.