International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(4):648-653.
Originally published December 5, 2022
The importance of bioethics as a formal subject has been recognized globally. The purpose of this study was to analyze undergraduate medical and dental students’ knowledge, practice and attitudes regarding bioethical questions through a questionnaire. This cross-sectional study was conducted among students from the Medical Faculty who were in their first or fourth year of education. There were no differences in bioethics awareness between direction (general medicine [GM] or dentistry) or years of study among 301 GM and dental students. In this research, GM and dental students, in general, indicated a positive attitude and knowledge of bioethics.
1. Ashfaq T, Ishaq A, Shahzad F, Saleem F. Knowledge and perception about bioethics: A comparative study of private and government medical college students of Karachi Pakistan. J Family Med Prim Care. 2021 Mar;10(3):1161-1166. doi: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_103_21.
2. Code of Dental Ethics (1866). J Am Coll Dent. 2015 Fall;82(4):18-9. PMID: 27159961..
3. Berk NW. Teaching ethics in dental schools: trends, techniques, and targets. J Dent Educ. 2001 Aug;65(8):744-50.
4. Deolia SG, Prasad K, Chhabra KG, Kalyanpur R, Kalghatgi S. An Insight Into Research Ethics among Dental Professionals in A Dental Institute, India- A Pilot Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014 Sep;8(9):ZC11-4. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2014/10118.4794.
5. Farooq W, Jafarey A, Arshad A. Awareness of medical ethics principles and their applications among healthcare professionals in Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Medicine and Dentistry.2018;7:81–88.
6. J Janakiram C, Gardens SJ. Knowledge, attitudes and practices related to healthcare ethics among medical and dental postgraduate students in south India. Indian J Med Ethics. 2014 Apr 1;11(2):99-104. doi: 10.20529/IJME.2014.025.
7. Khizar B, Iqbal M. Perception of physicians and medical students on common ethical dilemmas in a Pakistani medical institute. Eubios J Asian Int Bioeth.2009;19:53–54.
8. Potter VR. Bioethics: Bridge to the future. Prentice-Hall; 1971. doi: 10.1002/sce.3730560329.
9. Prasad DK, Hegde C, Jain A, Shetty M. Philosophy and principles of ethics: Its applications in dental practice. Journal of Education and Ethics in Dentistry. 2011;1:2–6.
10. Prasad M, Manjunath C, Krishnamurthy A, et. al. Ethics in dentistry – a review. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research. 2019; 9(3):238–244.
11. Sullivan M. The new subjective medicine: taking the patient's point of view on health care and health. Soc Sci Med. 2003 Apr;56(7):1595-604. doi: 10.1016/s0277-9536(02)00159-4.
12. Ustrell-Torrent JM, Buxarrais-Estrada MR, Ustrell-TorrentRiutord-Sbert P. Ethical relationship in the dentist-patient interaction. J Clin Exp Dent. 2021 Jan 1;13(1):e61-e66. doi: 10.4317/jced.57597.
13. Williams JR. Dental Ethics Manual (1st edition). FDI World Dental Federation; 2007 https://www.fdiworlddental.org/sites/default/files/2020-11/1-fdi_dental_...
14. Zhang S, Lo EC, Chu CH. Attitude and awareness of medical and dental students towards collaboration between medical and dental practice in Hong Kong. BMC Oral Health. 2015 May 2;15:53. doi: 10.1186/s12903-015-0038-2.
15. Maharani DA, Ariella S, Syafaaturrachma ID, Wardhany II, Bahar A, Zhang S, Gao SS, Chu CH, Rahardjo A. Attitude toward and awareness of medical-dental collaboration among medical and dental students in a university in Indonesia. BMC Oral Health. 2019 Jul 15;19(1):147. doi: 10.1186/s12903-019-0848-8.
Received September 12, 2022.
Accepted October 16, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.