¹The Republican Specialized Center of Cardiology; Tashkent, Uzbekistan; ²National Research Centre for Preventive Medicine; Moscow, Russia
*Corresponding author: Yashin R. Akhmatov. The Republican Specialized Center of Cardiology, Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: December 3, 2015. DOI: 10.21103/Article5(4)_OA8
The aim of our study was to investigate the clinical prevalence of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) with predominantly failure of the right-side heart (right ventricular DCM, RV-DCM), and features of the clinical course and prognosis of the disease compared to DCM with biventricular heart failure (BV-HF).The study design suggests a prospective observation of 300 patients with idiopathic DCM between 2000 and 2012. Herewith, we followed the criteria of the WHO/ISFC Task Force (1995) on the Definationa and Classification of Cardiomyopathies. All patients underwent a comprehensive examination. Two groups were formed for further comparative analysis. Group 1 included 22 patients (mean age 42.9±14.3 years, male/female 5/17) with RV-DCM. Group 2 included 38 patients (mean age 43.6±13.8, male/female 29/9) with DCM and BV-HF. The groups were matched for age, sex, NYHA class II-III, and disease duration. According to our aim, we studied 5-year survival prognosis and analyzed the incidence and causes of deaths, as well as the occurrence of nonfatal complications of the disease. Medical therapy for DCM patients was performed according to the CHF therapy guidelines (ACC/AHA 2001, 2005).The results of our investigations during many years of research have shown that the clinical incidence of RV-DCM was 7.3% among all forms of DCM. The study of life prognosis in patients with 2 forms of DCM showed that 5-year mortality of patients was about 50%. Herewith, we detected the differences in causes of death depending on the type of heart damage, primarily development of fatal pulmonary embolism.
- Bahler AS, Meller J, Brik H, Herman MV, Teichholz LE. Paradoxical motion of the interventricular septum with right ventricular dilatation in the absence of shunting: report of two cases. Am J Cardiol. 1976;38(5):654-7.
- Richardson P, McKenna W, Bristow M, Maisch B, Mautner B, O'Connell J, et al. Report of the 1995 World Organization International Society and Federation of Cardiology Task Force on the Definition and Classification of cardiomyopathies. Circulation. 1996; 93(5):841-2.
- Coignard E, Blanchard B, Jault F, Dorent R, Vaissier E, Nataf P, et al. Alcoholic cardiomyopathy and cardiac transplantation /Coignard E., Blanchard B., Jault F. et al. Arch Mal Coeur.1998;91(1):45-51. [Article in French].
- Homans DC. Peripartum cardiomyopathy.N Engl J Med.1985;312(22):1432-7.
- Mestroni L, Maisch B, McKenna WJ, Schwartz K, Charron P, Rocco C,,et al. Guidelines for the study of familial dilated cardiomyopathies. Eur Heart J. 1999;20(2):93-102.
- Matsui S, Murakami E, Takekoshi N, Tsuji S. Idiopathic dilated right ventricular cardiomyopathy: a report of eight cases. J Cardiogr. 1985;15(4):1027–38.
- Samanta S, Vijayverghia R, Vaiphei K. Isolated idiopathic right ventricular dilated cardiomyopathy. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2011;54(1):164–6.
- Ibsen HH, Baandrup U, Simonsen EE. Familial right ventricular dilated cardiomyopathy. Br Heart J. 1985;54(2):156–9.
- Rowland E, McKenna WJ, Sugrue D, Barclay R, Foale RA, Krikler DM. Ventricular tachycardia of left bundle branch block configuration in patients with isolated right ventricular dilatation. Clinical and electrophysiological features. Br Heart J. 1984;51:15-24.
- Levine RA, Gibson TC, Aretz T, Gillam LD, Guyer DE, King ME,, et al. Echocardiographic measurement of right ventricular volume. Circulation 1984; 69(3):497-505.
- Gibson TC, Miller SW, Aretz T, Hardin NJ, Weyman AE. Method for estimation right ventricular volume by planes applicable to cross-sectional echocardiography: correlation with angiographic formulas. Am J Cardiol. 1985; 55(13 Pt 1):1584-8..
- Elliott P, Andersson B, Arbustini E, Bilinska Z, Cecchi F, Charron P, et al. Classification of the cardiomyopaties: a position statement from the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases. Eur Heart J. 2008; 29(2):270-6.
- Ishikawa K, Yokoyama K, Araki T, Miura T, Goto T, Saito H. A case of right ventricular cardiomyopathy, which involved left ventricle. Kokui To Junkan 1990;38(12):1269-72. [Article in Japanese]
- Fitchett DH, Sugrue DD, McArthur CG, Oakley CM. Right ventricular dilated cardiomyopathy. Br Heart J. 1984;51(1):25-9.
- Mohan JC, Chutani SK, Sethi KK, Arora R, Khalilullah M. Dominant right ventricular dilated cardiomyopathy: clinical, echocardiographic and haemodynamic profile. Indian Heart J 1989;41(3):177-81.
- Amosova EN. Cardiomyopathy: A Guide. Kiev: Kniga Plus, 1999. [in Russian].
- Goldstein JA. Right heart ischemia: pathophysiology, natural history, and clinical management. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1998; 40(4):325-41.
- Larson DF, Womble JR, Copeland JG, Russell DH. Concurrent left and right ventricular hypertrophy in dog models of right ventricular overload. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1982 Oct;84(4):543-7.
- Baker BJ, Franciosa JA. Effect of the left ventricle on the right ventricle. Cardiovasc.Clin. 1987;17(2):145-55.
- Ostroumova EN, Kormer AY, Gureev SV Ermolenko AE. Ejection fraction of the right ventricle as an indicator of effectiveness of myocardial revascularization in patients with coronary heart disease and congestive heart failure. Kardiologiia. 1996; 4:57-61.
- Polak JF, Holman BL, Wynne J, Colucci WS. Right ventricular ejection fraction: an indicator of increased mortality in patients with congestive heart failure associated with coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1983; 2(2): 217-24.
- Karatasakis GT, Karagounis LA, Kalyvas PA, Manginas A, Athanassopoulos GD, Aggelakas SA, et al. Prognostic significance of echocardiographically estimated right ventricular shortening in advanced heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 1998; 82(3):329-34.
- Goya M, Ouyang F, Ernst S, Volkmer M, Antz M, Kuck KH. Electroanatomic mapping and catheter ablation of breakthroughs from the right atrium to the superior vena cava in patients with atrial fibrillation. Circulation. 2002; 106(11):1317-20.
- Gaynor SL, Maniar HS, Bloch JB, Steendijk P, Moon MR. Right atrial and ventricular adaptation to chronic right ventricular pressure overload. Circulation. 2005; 112(9 Suppl): I212-8.
- Mroczek AG, Atroschenko ES, Ostrovsky YP et al. Diagnosis and treatment of atrial fibrillation. National guidelines. Minsk, 2010. [in Russian].
- Shumakov VI, Kormer AIa, Kozakov EN, Chestukhin VV, Shemakin SIu. The hemodynamics of the lesser circulation before and after heart transplantation in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy.Grud Serdechnososudistaia Khir. 1993;6:4-7. [Article in Russian].
- Hunt SA, Baker DW, Chin MH, Cinquegrani MP, Feldman AM, Francis GS,, et al. ACC/AHA Guidelines for the Evaluation and Management of Chronic Heart Failure in the Adult: Executive Summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2001; 104: 2996-3007.
- Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH, Feldman AM, Francis GS, Ganiats TG, et al. ACC/AHA 2005 Guideline Update for the Diagnosis and Management of Chronic Heart Failure in the Adult- Summary Article: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2005; 112:154- 235.
- Martins E, Cardoso JS, Campelo M, Amorim S, Moura B, Maciel MJ, Gonçalves FR. Survival of patients with familial dilated cardiomyopathy on optimal heart failure. Rev Port Cardiol. 2009; 28(3):263-8.
- Felker GM, Thompson RE, Hare JM, Hruban RH, Clemetson DE, Howard DL, et al. Underlying causes and long-term survival in patients with initially unexplained cardiomyopathy. N Eng J Med 2000; 342(15): 1077-84.
- Di Lenarda A, Pinamonti B, Mestroni L, Salvi A, Sabbadini G, Gregori D, et al. The natural history of dilated cardiomyopathy: a review of the Heart Muscle Disease Registry of Trieste. Ital Heart J Suppl 2004; 5(4): 253-66. [Article in Italian].
- Ribeiro A1, Lindmarker P, Juhlin-Dannfelt A, Johnsson H, Jorfeldt L. Echocardiography Doppler in pulmonary embolism: right ventricular dysfunction as a predictor of mortality rate. Am Heart J. 1997 Sep;134(3):479-87.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2015; 5(4):207-213. © 2015 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.