International Journal of Biomedicine. 2018;8(1):65-68.
Originally published March 15, 2018
This case report presents a 24-year-old man with a long history of arrhythmogenic convulsive syncope, which was managed as a cryptogenic generalized PRE. During complex examination of the patient within the framework of preoperative screening for the purpose of neurosurgical treatment of PRE, an idiopathic SSS was diagnosed. The clinical diagnosis was changed. The patient underwent emergency surgery at the center for cardiac surgery. ECP was implanted, the seizures stopped, resulting in dramatically improved quality of life.
- Tereshchenko SY, Evert LS, Lytkin VA, Bobrova EI. [Cardiogenic syncopal conditions in children and teenagers: the problems of differential diagnosis]. Siberian Medical Review. 2010;65(5):88-94. [Article in Russian].
- Usacheva EL, Osipova KV, Prityko AG. [Clinical features of non-epileptic seizures in children]. Nevrologicheskii Zhurnal. 2009;1:18-24. [Article in Russian].
- Mironov MB. [Analysis of main reasons for mistakes in diagnostics of epileptic seizures and epileptic syndromes (clinical peculiarities of epileptic seizures)]. Russian Journal of Child Neurology. 2014;9(4):40-48. doi:10.17650/2073-8803-2014-9-4-40-48. [Article in Russian].
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of syncope (version 2009). Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Syncope; European Society of Cardiology (ESC); European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA); Heart Failure Association (HFA); Heart Rhythm Society (HRS); Moya A, Sutton R, Ammirati F, Blanc JJ, Brignole M, Dahm JB, et al. Eur Heart J. 2009;30(21):2631–71. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehp298. PubMed
- Mathias CJ, Mallipeddi R, Bleasdale-Barr K. Symptoms associated with orthostatic hypotension in pure autonomic failure and multiple system atrophy. J Neurol. 1999;246(10):893-8. PubMed
- Sheldon R1, Rose S, Ritchie D, Connolly SJ, Koshman ML, Lee MA, et al. Historical criteria that distinguish syncope from seizures. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;40(1):142-8. PubMed
- Duplyakov D, Gavrilova E, Golovina G, Lyukshina N, Sysuenkova E, Shagrova E, Bulanova V. Prevalence of epileptiform findings on routine EEG and its influence on the result of head-up tilt test in patients with neurocardiogenic syncope. Eur Heart J. 2007;28 (Abstract Supplement), 640.
- Hoefnagels WA, Padberg GW, Overweg J, van der Velde EA, Roos RA. Transient loss of consciousness: the value of the history for distinguishing seizure from syncope. J Neurol. 1991;238(1):39-43. PubMed
- Shnayder NA, Sadikova AV, Nikulina SYu, Shnayder VA. [Sudden unexpected death in epilepsy]. Medicine of Extreme Situations. 2011;36(2):54-64. [Article in Russian].
- van Dijk JG, Sheldon R. Is there any point to vasovagal syncope? Clin Auton Res. 2008;18:167–9. doi: 10.1007/s10286-008-0484-x. PubMed
Received December 12, 2017.
Accepted December 28, 2017.
©2018 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.