International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(3):220-222.
Originally published September 15, 2019
Early cancer screening is the most effective way to reduce cancer mortality. The number of potentially viable tumor markers (TMs) is rapidly expanding and promises further improvement in sensitivity and specificity. The article presents the results of a population-based study of screening for the most common types of cancer in individuals living in South Yakutia.
- WHO. Cancer. Available from: https://www.who.int/cancer/en/
- Beverly Handy. Clinical usefulness of tumor markers. Laboratory medicine. 2009;40(2):99-103.
- Liu F, Du F, Chen X. Multiple tumor marker protein chip detection system in diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. World J Surg Oncol. 2014;12:333. doi: 10.1186/1477-7819-12-333.
- Gion M, Cardinali G, Trevisiol C, Zappa M, Rainato G, Fabricio ASC. Indicators of inappropriate tumour marker use through the mining of electronic health records. J Eval Clin Pract. 2017;23(4):895-902. doi: 10.1111/jep.12754.
- Kaprin AD, Starinsky VV, Petrov GV. Malignant neoplasms in Russia in 2017 (morbidity and mortality). M.:P.A. Hertsen Moscow Oncology Research Center - branch of FSBI NMRRC of the Ministry of Health of Russia; 2018.
- Magnani JL, Nilsson B, Brockhaus M, Zopf D, Steplewski Z, Koprowski H, Ginsburg V. A monoclonal antibody-defined antigen associated with gastrointestinal cancer is a ganglioside containing sialylated lacto-N-fucopentaose II. J Biol Chem. 1982;257(23):14365-9.
- Ballehaninna UK, Chamberlain RS. The clinical utility of serum CA 19-9 in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of pancreatic adenocarcinoma: an evidence based appraisal. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2012;3(2):105-19. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2078-6891.2011.021.
- Steinberg W. The clinical utility of the CA 19-9 tumor-associated antigen. Am J Gastroenterol. 1990;85(4):350–5.
- Duffy MJ. Carcinoembryonic antigen as a marker for colorectal cancer: is it clinically useful? Clin Chem. 2001;47(4):624–30.
- Lamerz R. Role of tumour markers, cytogenetics. Ann Oncol. 1999;10 Suppl 4:145–9.
- DiMagno EP, Reber HA, Tempero MA. AGA technical review on the epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. American Gastroenterological Association. Gastroenterology. 1999;117(6):1464–84.
- Al-Ibraheemi A, Dasgupta A, Wahed A. Pitfalls in Tumor Markers Testing. In: Dasgupta A. and Sepulveda J, editors. Accurate Results in the Clinical Laboratory. (A Guide to Error Detection and Correction). Elsevier Inc.; 2013:177-193.
- Stenman UH, Leinonen J, Alfthan H, Rannikko S, Tuhkanen K, Alfthan O. A complex between prostate-specific antigen and alpha 1-antichymotrypsin is the major form of prostate-specific antigen in serum of patients with prostatic cancer: assay of the complex improves clinical sensitivity for cancer. Cancer Res. 1991;51(1):222-6.
- Nagpal M, Singh S, Singh P, Chauhan P, Zaidi MA. Tumor markers: A diagnostic tool. Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2016;7(1):17-20. doi: 10.4103/0975-5950.196135.
Received July 3, 2019.
Accepted July 29, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.