Tashkent Medical Academy; Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
*Corresponding author: Timur V. Melkumyan*, PhD, ScD. Tashkent Medical Academy.Tashkent, Uzbekistan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: June 22, 2014.
The objective of this study was to compare the periodontal status in postmenopausal women with osteopenia and osteoporosis.
Material and Methods: We examined 43 postmenopausal women aged from 55 to 74 years. Material assessment of bones in every patient was performed by means of dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) from two points on the skeleton – part of the femur neck and between the first and fourth lumbar vertebrae. A lipid blood test was done for patients of both groups. All patients were divided into two groups (the 1st with osteopenia, and the 2nd with osteoporosis). All patients were subjected to an oral clinical examination: the periodontal examination was composed of Plaque Index (PI), Pocket Score (PS), and Papillary Bleeding Index (PBI). X-ray analysis was performed for every patient.
Results: The results of the clinical periodontal examination demonstrated that the mean PBI in patients in the 1st group had no significant differences from the PBI in patients in the 2nd group. PI value and PS findings in patients with general osteoporosis also had no statistical differences from the same parameters in patients with osteopenia.
Conclusion: Under the circumstances of these patients’ characteristics and within the limits of the present study, we concluded that there is no significant difference in the periodontal status of postmenopausal women with systemic osteopenia and with osteoporosis.
- Lin JT1, Lane JM. Osteoporosis: a review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2004; 425:126-34
- Elders PJ, Habets LL, Netelenbos JC, van der Linden LW, van der Stelt PF. The relation between periodontitis and systemic bone mass in women between 46 and 55 years of age. J Clin Periodontol1992; 19:492–6.
- Metthews DC. Periodontal medicine: a new paradigm. J Can Dent Assoc 2000;66(9):488-91.
- Chohayeb AA. Influence of osteoporosis on the oral health of menopausal women. Gen Dent 2003; 52(3):258-61.
- Jagelaviciene E, Kubilius R. The relationship between general osteoporosis of the organism and periodontal diseases. Medicina (Kaunas)2006; 42(8):613-8.
- Jeffcoat M. The association between osteoporosis and oral bone loss. J Periodontol 2005; 76(11 Suppl):2125-32.
- Reddy MS. Osteoporosis and periodontitis: discussion, conclusions, and recommendations. Ann Periodontol 2001; 6(1):214-7.
- Waldorff EI, Christenson KB, Cooney LA, Goldstein SA. Microdamage repair and remodeling requires mechanical loading, J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25(4):734–45.
- Hattatoğlu-Sönmez E, Özçakar L, Gökçe-Kutsal Y, Karaağaoğlu E, Demiralp B, Nazlıel-Erverdi H. No alteration in bone mineral density in patients with periodontitis. J Dent Res 2008;87(1):79–83.
- Khorsand A, Paknejad M , Vakili F. Evaluation of periodontal condition of menopause women with osteoporosis and osteopenia and comparison with control group. J Dental Medicine 2006;19(3):76-83.
- Lockhart PB, Bolger AF, Papapanou PN, Osinbowale O, Trevisan M, Levison ME, et al. Periodontal disease and atherosclerotic vascular disease: does the evidence support an independent association? A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2012; 125(20):2520-44.
- Lusis AJ. Atherosclerosis. Nature. 2000;407(6801):233–41.
- Martınez-Maestre MA, Gonzalez-Cejudo C, Machuca G, Torrejon R, Castelo-Branco C. Periodontitis and osteoporosis: a systematic review. Climacteric 2010;13(6):523–9.
- Renvert S. Destructive periodontal disease in relation to diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and respiratory diseases. Oral Health Prev Dent 2003;1 (Suppl 1):341-57.
- Lorenzo J. Interactions between immune and bone cells: new insights with many remaining questions. J Clin Invest.2000; 106(6):749–52.
- Siggelkow H, Eidner T, Lehmann G, Viereck V, Raddarz D, Munzel U, et al. Cytokines, osteoprotegerin, and RANKL in vitro and histomorphometric indices of bone turnover in patients with different bone diseases. J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18(3):529–38.
- Oztürk Tonguç M1, Büyükkaplan US, Fentoglu O, Gümüs BA, Çerçi SS, Kirzioglu FY. Comparison of bone mineral density in the jaws of patients with and without chronic periodontitis. Dentomaxillofac Radiol Sep 2012; 41(6): 509–14.
- Ronderos M, Jacobs DR, Himes JH, Pihlstrom BL. Associations of periodontal disease with femoral bone mineral density and estrogen replacement therapy: cross-sectional evaluation of US adults from NHANES III. J Clin Periodontol 2000; 27(10):778-86.
- Takaishi Y, Okamoto Y, Ikeo T, Morii H, Takeda M, Hide K, et al. Correlations between periodontitis and loss of mandibular bone in relation to systemic bone changes in postmenopausal Japanese women. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16(12):1875-82.
- Shen EC, Gau CH, Hsieh YD, Chang CY, Fu E. Periodontal status in post-menopausal osteoporosis: a preliminary clinical study in Taiwanese women. J Chin Med Assoc 2004; 67(8):389-93.
- Tezal M, Wactawski-Wende J, Grossi SG, Ho AW, Dunford R, Genco RJ. The relationship between bone mineral density and periodontitis in postmenopausal women. J Periodontol 2000;71(9):1492-8
- Topić B. Parodontologija: biologija, imunopatogeneza, praksa. Zagreb: Medicinska naklada; 2005
- Lundstrom A, Jendle J, Stenstrom B, Toss G, Ravald N. Periodontal conditions in 70-years-old women with osteoporosis. Swed Dent J 2001; 25(3):89-96.
- Megson E, Kapellas K, Bartold PM. Relationship between periodontal disease and osteoporosis. Int J Evid Based Healthc 2010; 8(3):129-39.
- Takata S, Yasui N. Disuse osteoporosis. J Med Invest 2001; 48(3-4):147–56.
- Anil S, Preethanath RS, AlMoharib HS, Kamath KP, Anand PS. Impact of osteoporosis and its treatment on oral health. Am J Med Sci 2013; 346(5):396-401.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2014; 4(2):104-106. © 2014 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.