Omsk State Medical Academy, Omsk, Russian Federation
*Corresponding author: Olga V. Zadorozhnaya, Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology, Omsk State Medical Academy. 15, Volochayevskaya str., apt. 97, 644099, Omsk, Russian Federation. Tel: (home) 7-3812-275318, (work) 7-3812-566507. Fax: 4317894098. E-Mail:email@example.com
Schizophrenia patients frequently develop somatic co-morbidity, including chronic viral hepatitis. The study of the quality of life in schizophrenia patients with concomitant viral hepatitis in the context of hospital pharmacotherapy, therefore, becomes an important task. We examined 60 schizophrenia patients with chronic viral hepatitis. Diagnosis was based on clinical, psychopathological, psychometric, clinical and laboratory methods, followed by statistical data processing. The features relating to the socio-demographic status, adaptation to work, and the prevalence of co-morbid alcohol and drug abuse were identified in this group. Also, correlations between the severity of psychotic disorders and the development of adverse drug reactions were revealed in schizophrenia patients with concomitant viral hepatitis. Schizophrenia patients with concomitant chronic viral hepatitis are a very difficult-to-treat patient group. Therefore, it becomes essential to create and implement individual treatment and rehabilitation programs in clinical practice, to improve the quality of life and prevention of druginduced liver disease in such patients.
- Robson D, Gray R. Serious mental illness and physical health problems: a discussion paper. Int J Nurs Stud 2007; 44 (3):457-466.
- Rosenberg SD, Goodman LA, Osher FC, Swartz MS, Essock SM, Butterfield MI, et al. Prevalence of HIV, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C in people with severe mental illness. Am J Public Health 2001; 91(1):31-7.
- Dinwiddie SH, Shicker L, Newman T. Prevalence of hepatitis C among psychiatric patients in the public sector. Am J Psychiatry 2003; 160(1):172-174.
- Campos LN, Guimarães MD, Carmo RA, Melo AP, Oliveira HN, Elkington K, et al. HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis B and C prevalence among patients with mental illness: a review of the literature. Cad Saude Publica 2008; 24 Suppl 4:607-20.
- Carey MP, Ravi V, Chandra PS, Desai A, Neal DJ. Prevalence of HIV, hepatitis B, syphilis, and Chlamydia among adults seeking treatment for a mental disorder in Southern India. AIDS Behav 2007; 11(2):289-97.
- Klinkenberg WD, Caslyn RJ, Morse GA, Yonker RD, McCudden S, Ketema F, et al. Prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C among homeless persons with co-occurring severe mental illness and substance use disorders. Compr Psychiatry 2003; 44(4):293-302.
- Freudenreich O, Gandhi RT, Walsh JP, Henderson DC, Goff DC. Hepatitis C in schizophrenia: screening experience in a community-dwelling clozapine cohort. Psychosomatics 2007; 48(5):405-11.
- Tabibian JH, Wirshing DA, Pierre JM, Guzik LH, Kisicki MD, Danovitch I, et al. Hepatitis B and C among veterans on a psychiatric ward. Dig Dis Sci 2008; 53(6):1693-8.
- Malinin DI. Side effects of psychotropic drugs. Moscow: Education book, 2000.
- Smith FA, Witmann CW, Stem TA. Medical complications of psychiatric treatment. Crit Care Clin 2008; 24 (4):635–656.
- Semke VYa, Costin AK. Mental and somatic development in ideas about the nature of the disease. “Current problems in psychiatric and somatic disorders: face contact”. II Regional Conference Young Scientists and Specialists’. Abstracts. Tomsk: Publishing House “Ivan Fedorov”, 2010.
- Lingjaerde O, Ahlfors UG, Bech P, Dencker SJ, Elgen K. The UKU side effect rating scale. A new comprehensive rating scale for psychotropic drugs and a cross-sectional study of side effects in neuroleptic-treated patients. Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl 1987; 334:1-100.
- Maslovsky SYu, Kozlovsky VL. Measuring the quality of life in schizophrenia patients during maintenance therapy. Review of Psychiatry and Medical Psychology of the VM Bekhterev 2009; 3:29-32.
- Kay SR, Fiszbein A, Opler LA. The positive and negative syndrome scale (PANSS) for schizophrenia. Schizophr Bul. 1987; 13(2):261-76.
The fully formatted PDF version is available.
Int J Biomed. 2012; 2(1):34-37. © 2012 International Medical Research and Development Corporation. All rights reserved.