International Journal of Biomedicine. 2021;11(3):301-304.
Originally published September 9, 2021
The aim of this study was to investigate the diagnostic value of the leukocyte shift index (LSI) in inflammatory pathology of the paranasal sinuses (PNS) with the rhinosinusogenic orbital complications (RSOC) in pediatric patients.
Methods and Results: The study involved 50 patients (26 boys and 24 girls) with diseases of the PNS and RSOC (reactive edema of the eyelids, orbital tissue, and purulent-septic complications of the eyelids and orbit) aged from 1 to 17 years (mean age of 6.66±0.63 years). Group 1 included 29 patients (16 boys and 13 girls) with reactive edema of the eyelids and orbital tissue. Group 2 included 21 patients (10 boys and 11 girls) with purulent-septic RSOC. As a marker for determining the activity of the inflammatory process and the disorders of the immunological reactivity of the body, LSI (leukocyte shift index) was calculated. In general, the LSI value was 1.61±0.21 in Group 1 and 3.45±0.49 in Group 2 (P=0.001). Among patients aged between 3 and 12 years, the LSI was 1.66±0.30 in Group 1 and 3.93±0.79 in Group 2 (P=0.012). The results obtained indicate that LSI can be used to predict purulent-septic RSOC in inflammatory diseases of PNS in patients aged between 3 and 12 years. LSI values from 1.36 to 1.96 may predict the development of reactive edema of the eyelids and orbital tissue; from 3.14 to 4.72 - the development of purulent-septic complications of the eyelids and orbit.
Conclusion: The results obtained can be useful in predicting the clinical course of the RSOC in inflammatory pathology of PNS in patients in the age group of 3-12 years.
- Abdikhalikov ZhA, Anarbaev AA, Aybashov KhA, Usmanov DU. [Sinusogenic orbital complications in children]. Russian Bulletin of perinatology and pediatrics. 2016;61(4);264.[Article in Russian].
- Kuznetsova TB, Yolshin VN, Kuznetsova NOT, Ponomareva MN. [Prevalence of rhinosinusogenic orbital complications in children of the Tyumen region]. Bulletin of the Bashkir State Medical University. 2019; (3):97-101. [Article in Russian].
- Gulyaeva LV, Zolotareva MA. [Features of orbital rhinosinusogenic complications in childhood]. Tavrichesky Medical and Biological Bulletin. 2016;19(1):16-18. [Article in Russian].
- Bogomilskiy MR, Chistyakova VR. Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology: A Guide for Physicians. Vol. 1. M.: "Meditsina"; 2005. [In Russian].
- Kuznetsova NOT, Kuznetsova TB, Ponomareva MN. [Clinical characteristics of reactive orbital complications in children with purulent-inflammatory pathology of the paranasal sinuses]. Proceedings of the International Congress "Man and Medicine. Ural – 2019," Tyumen, 2019:45-46. [Article in Russian].
- Ivanov DO, Shabalov NP, Shabalova NN, Kurzina EA, Kostyuchek IN. [Leukocyte indices of cellular reactivity as an indicator of the presence of hypo- and hyperergic variants of neonatal sepsis]. Available from: http://www.medlinks.ru/article.php?sid=22330.[Article in Russian].
- Mustafina ZhG, Kramorenko IuS, Kobtseva VIu. [Integral hematological indices in assessing body immunological reactivity in patients with ophthalmic pathology]. Klin Lab Diagn. 1999 May;(5):47-9. [Article in Russian].
- Speransky II, Samoilenko GE, Lobacheva MV. [Complete blood count - are all of its possibilities exhausted? Integral indices of intoxication as criteria for assessing the severity of endogenous intoxication, its complications, and the effectiveness of treatment]. Acute and Emergency Conditions in the Practice of a Doctor. 2009.19(6):5. [Article in Russian].
Received June 8, 2021.
Accepted July 15, 2021.
©2021 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.