International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(2):308-310.
Originally published June 5, 2022
Background: The imperfection of surgical sutures, from the point of view of insufficient prevention of microbial contamination in the area of suturing, is one of the urgent problems in modern practical healthcare. In this connection, one of the promising areas at the present time is the study of suture material under conditions of its coating with various antiseptics. This study aimed to evaluate the physical and mechanical properties of the suture material impregnated with miramistin for further application in experimental studies on animals.
Methods and Results: By applying a two-layer polymer coating on absorbable polyglycolide threads, the threads were given antimicrobial properties. In the amount of 10% or 20% by weight of the polymer, miramistin was introduced into both coatings.
The breaking load and elongation data in the surgical suture knot were evaluated by immersing the samples in a phosphate buffer solution (pH=7.4), maintaining a constant temperature of 37°C by a thermostat. Threads from the solution were extracted on Days 1, 3, 7, 14, and 21 of the experiment. Further, the studied samples of the suture material were subjected to stretching to rupture on a universal tensile testing machine of the domestic company Metrotest. Physical and mechanical properties were evaluated by the dynamics of the breaking load and elongation at a break in the node after being in a phosphate buffer solution. Coating of polyglycolide thread, which is a suture material, with miramistin at a concentration of 10% and 20% does not lead to loss of strength even in the long term of the experimental study, which, in turn, meets the standards for suture material.
Conclusion: The results obtained allow us to recommend a suture material impregnated with miramistin for further research, the ultimate goal of which will be the possibility of active use of this material in practical medicine, in particular in surgery to prevent microbial contamination in the area of suturing and infection of wounds.
- Styazhkina SN, Ovechkina IA, Shakirova LCh. [The problem of peritonitis in modern abdominal surgery]. Synergy of Sciences. 2017;11: 561-566. [Article in Russian].
- Aliyev SA, Aliyev ES. [Abdominal sepsis: the state of the problem, integral systems for assessing the severity of the course and the criteria for predicting the outcome]. Vestnik Khirurgii named after I.I. Grekov. 2018; 177 (5): 108-112. [Article in Russian].
- Ermolov AS, Volenko AV, Gorsky VA. [Radical elimination of the source of peritonitis is a cardinal problem of the surgical treatment of peritonitis]. Annals of Surgery. 2016; 21(3): 211-214. [Article in Russian].
- Plecheva DV, Galimov OV, Plechev VV, Shikova YuV, Yelova EV. [Prevention of insolvency interstitial anastomosis in planned and urgent surgery]. Bulletin of Pirogov National Medical & Surgical Center. 2018; 13(3): 47-49. [Article in Russian].
- Akeshov AZ, Makeeva MN. [Postoperative complications in abdominal surgery and measures to prevent them named after]. Bulletin of the Kazan State Medical Academy named after I.K. Akhunbaeva. 2019;1: 74-79. [Article in Russian].
- McCagherty J, Yool DA, Paterson GK, Mitchell SR, Woods S, Marques AI, Hall JL, Mosley JR, Nuttall TJ. Investigation of the in vitro antimicrobial activity of triclosan-coated suture material on bacteria commonly isolated from wounds in dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2020 Jan;81(1):84-90. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.81.1.84.
- Omelyanenko NP, Mishina ES, Kovalev AV, Volkov AV. Structural Dynamics of the Fibrous Basis of Reparative Regenerate during Spontaneous Healing of the Skin Wound. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2018 Dec;166(2):274-278. doi: 10.1007/s10517-018-4331-3.
- Sukovatykh BS, Mosolova AV, Zatolokina MA. [Experimental rationale for the use of the immobilized form of miramistin in the treatment of advanced peritonitis]. Bulletin of Experimental and Clinical Surgery. 2021;14(1):53-60. [Article in Russian].
- Sukovatykh BS, Mosolova AV, Zatolokina MA, Zhukovsky VA, Anushchenko TYu. [Prevention of intestinal suture failure in the conditions of experimental peritonitis]. Bulletin of Pirogov National Medical & Surgical Center.. 2021; 16 (3): 52-56. [Article in Russian].
Received February 22, 2022.
Accepted April 11, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.