International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(3):470-473.
Originally published September 5, 2022
The aim of this study was to conduct a clinical and statistical analysis of ophthalmological manifestations in patients with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) using biologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (bDMARDs) as a basic therapy.
The study included 58 patients (19[32.7%] women and 39[67.3%] men) with AS receiving bDMARDs. The median age of patients was 41.81(25;60) years. The average age of the disease onset was 25.23(9;47) years. The patients were divided into two groups: Group 1 included 24 patients with ophthalmic manifestations; Group 2 included 34 patients without ophthalmic manifestations. All patients in Group 1 took TNF-α inhibitors, (infliximab, adalimumab, golimumab, etarnacept, and cetrolizumab-pegol). In Group 2, TNF-α inhibitors (infliximab, adalimumab, golimumab, etarnacept) were received by 32(92.4%) patients and interleukin-17 inhibitor (secukinumab) by 2(5.8%) patients. Group 1 was characterized by a greater age and average duration of the disease, as well as the presence of metabolic instability (blood glucose and creatinine levels in the borderline range). The effectiveness of bDMARD in AS is characterized by the normalization and stabilization of clinical and biochemical parameters, including blood cholesterol and creatinine levels, which prevents the occurrence of vascular lesions, including uveitis.
- Danve A. Thoracic Manifestations of Ankylosing Spondylitis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, and Relapsing Polychondritis. Clin Chest Med. 2019 Sep;40(3):599-608. doi: 10.1016/j.ccm.2019.05.006. Epub 2019 Jul 6. PMID: 31376894.
- Garcia-Montoya L, Gul H, Emery P. Recent advances in ankylosing spondylitis: understanding the disease and management. F1000Res. 2018 Sep 21;7:F1000 Faculty Rev-1512. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.14956.1. PMID: 30345001; PMCID: PMC6173104.
- Hwang MC, Ridley L, Reveille JD. Ankylosing spondylitis risk factors: a systematic literature review. Clin Rheumatol. 2021 Aug;40(8):3079-3093. doi: 10.1007/s10067-021-05679-7. Epub 2021 Mar 22. PMID: 33754220; PMCID: PMC9044547.
- Ebrahimiadib N, Berijani S, Ghahari M, Pahlaviani FG. Ankylosing Spondylitis. J Ophthalmic Vis Res. 2021 Jul 29;16(3):462-469. doi: 10.18502/jovr.v16i3.9440. PMID: 34394873; PMCID: PMC8358754.
- Yen JC, Hsu CA, Hsiao SH, Hsu MH. Acute Anterior Uveitis as a Risk Factor of Ankylosing Spondylitis-A National Population-Based Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017 Jan 23;14(1):107. doi: 10.3390/ijerph14010107. PMID: 28124984; PMCID: PMC5295357.
- Agrawal P, Machado PM. Recent advances in managing axial spondyloarthritis. F1000Res. 2020 Jul 13;9:F1000 Faculty Rev-697. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.22577.1. PMID: 32704350; PMCID: PMC7359748.
- Ward MM, Deodhar A, Gensler LS, Dubreuil M, Yu D, Khan MA, Haroon N, Borenstein D, Wang R, Biehl A, Fang MA, Louie G, Majithia V, Ng B, Bigham R, Pianin M, Shah AA, Sullivan N, Turgunbaev M, Oristaglio J, Turner A, Maksymowych WP, Caplan L. 2019 Update of the American College of Rheumatology/Spondylitis Association of America/Spondyloarthritis Research and Treatment Network Recommendations for the Treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nonradiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2019 Oct;71(10):1285-1299. doi: 10.1002/acr.24025. Epub 2019 Aug 21. PMID: 31436026; PMCID: PMC6764857.
- Federal clinical guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (Bekhterev's disease). Russian Association of Rheumatologists. 2015. https://congress-ph.ru/common/htdocs/upload/fm/revma13/16/prez/16A3.pdf
Received June 28, 2022.
Accepted August 6, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.