International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(3):375-379.
Originally published September 5, 2022
Background: Iron deficiency anemia (IDA) and beta-thalassemia trait (BTT) are the most common types of microcytic hypochromic anemias. The aim of this study was to evaluate the reliability of different RBC indices for discrimination between IDA and BTT in Sudanese patients.
Methods and Results: This cross-sectional laboratory-based study was conducted among 200 patients (100 patients suffering from BTT and 100 from IDA) who attended the public health hospitals of Khartoum State (Sudan), from Jan 2021 to Feb 2022. The diagnosis of BTT was based on CBC and hemoglobin electrophoresis, and was confirmed by PCR. The diagnosis of IDA was based on complete blood count, reduced serum iron levels, and ferritin levels. Pregnant women, patients who had received a blood transfusion within three months of the study, and patients with thalassemia coexisting with IDA or other hemoglobinopathies were excluded from the study. A series of red blood cell indices were analyzed to differentiate IDA and BTT. The sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, and Youden index (J) were calculated for each index.
In BTT and IDA patients, mean values of Hb, hematocrit, and mean corpuscular volume were 10.9g/dL, 33.96%, 59.11fL, and 8.5g/dL, 26%, 68fL, respectively. All RBC indices were decreased in BTT and IDA. Mean RBC count was increased in BTT while showing normal values in IDA. In BTT patients, hemoglobin electrophoresis showed high HbA2 (6.4%) and HbF (1.95%) but a decreased HbA (78.2%).
Conclusion: The best discrimination index according to J was Mentzer index (0.85), followed by Sidrah index (0.83), Ehsani index (0.81), RBC count (0.80), RDWI (0.79), Green and King index (0.76), MDHL (o.76), Srivastava index (o.76), and England and Fraser index (0.7). The lowest J was presented in Ricerca index (0.45), Shine and Lal index (0.01), and MCHD (0).
- Chaudhry HS, Kasarla MR. Microcytic Hypochromic Anemia. 2022 May 2. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan–. PMID: 29262222.
- Adam I, Ibrahim Y, Elhardello O. Prevalence, types and determinants of anemia among pregnant women in Sudan: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Hematol. 2018 Nov 8;18:31. doi: 10.1186/s12878-018-0124-1. PMID: 30455961; PMCID: PMC6225563.
- Shaked M, Levkovich I, Adar T, Peri A, Liviatan N. Perspective of healthy asymptomatic patients requesting general blood tests from their physicians: a qualitative study. BMC Fam Pract. 2019 Apr 5;20(1):51. doi: 10.1186/s12875-019-0940-9. PMID: 30953452; PMCID: PMC6451261.
- Gebreweld A, Bekele D, Tsegaye A. Hematological profile of pregnant women at St. Paul's Hospital Millennium Medical College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. BMC Hematol. 2018 Jul 9;18:15. doi: 10.1186/s12878-018-0111-6. PMID: 30002836; PMCID: PMC6038189.
- McLean E, Cogswell M, Egli I, Wojdyla D, de Benoist B. Worldwide prevalence of anaemia, WHO Vitamin and Mineral Nutrition Information System, 1993-2005. Public Health Nutr. 2009 Apr;12(4):444-54. doi: 10.1017/S1368980008002401. Epub 2008 May 23. PMID: 18498676.
- Bouri S, Martin J. Investigation of iron deficiency anaemia . Clin Med (Lond). 2018 Jun;18(3):242-244. doi: 10.7861/clinmedicine.18-3-242. PMID: 29858435; PMCID: PMC6334077.
- Bajwa H, Basit H. Thalassemia. 2021 Nov 5. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan–. PMID: 31424735.
- Bain BJ, Bates I, Laffan MA. Thalassemia syndrome. In: Lewis editor. Dacie and Lewis: Practical Haematology. E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences (Eleven edition, 2012). London, UK.
- Galanello R, Origa R. Beta-thalassemia. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2010 May 21;5:11. doi: 10.1186/1750-1172-5-11. PMID: 20492708; PMCID: PMC2893117.
- Bose S. Is Mentzer Index A Reliable Diagnostic Screening Tool For Beta Thalassemia Trait? IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS). 2018;17(7):7-11.
- Needs T, Gonzalez-Mosquera LF, Lynch DT. Beta Thalassemia. 2022 May 8. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan–. PMID: 30285376.
- Kabootarizadeh L, Jamshidnezhad A, Koohmareh Z. Differential Diagnosis of Iron-Deficiency Anemia from β-Thalassemia Trait Using an Intelligent Model in Comparison with Discriminant Indexes. Acta Inform Med. 2019 Jun;27(2):78-84. doi: 10.5455/aim.2019.27.78-84. PMID: 31452563; PMCID: PMC6688292.
- England JM, Fraser PM. Differentiation of iron deficiency from thalassaemia trait by routine blood-count. Lancet. 1973 Mar 3;1(7801):449-52. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(73)91878-3. PMID: 4120365.
- Mentzer WC Jr. Differentiation of iron deficiency from thalassaemia trait. Lancet. 1973 Apr 21;1(7808):882. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(73)91446-3. PMID: 4123424.
- Shine I, Lal S. A strategy to detect beta-thalassaemia minor. Lancet. 1977 Mar 26;1(8013):692-4. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(77)92128-6. PMID: 66486.
- Srivastava PC. Differentiation of thalassaemia minor from iron deficiency. Lancet. 1973 Jul 21;2(7821):154-5. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(73)93104-8. PMID: 4124080.
- Ehsani MA, Shahgholi E, Rahiminejad MS, Seighali F, Rashidi A. A new index for discrimination between iron deficiency anemia and beta-thalassemia minor: results in 284 patients. Pak J Biol Sci. 2009 Mar 1;12(5):473-5. doi: 10.3923/pjbs.2009.473.475. PMID: 19579993.
- Ricerca BM, Storti S, d'Onofrio G, Mancini S, Vittori M, Campisi S, Mango G, Bizzi B. Differentiation of iron deficiency from thalassaemia trait: a new approach. Haematologica. 1987 Sep-Oct;72(5):409-13. PMID: 3121463.
- Sirdah M, Tarazi I, Al Najjar E, Al Haddad R. Evaluation of the diagnostic reliability of different RBC indices and formulas in the differentiation of the beta-thalassaemia minor from iron deficiency in Palestinian population. Int J Lab Hematol. 2008 Aug;30(4):324-330. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-553X.2007.00966.x. PMID: 18445163.
- Green R, King R. A new red cell discriminant incorporating volume dispersion for differentiating iron deficiency anemia from thalassemia minor. Blood Cells. 1989;15(3):481-91; discussion 492-5. PMID: 2620095.
- Beyan C, Kaptan K, Ifran A. Predictive value of discrimination indices in differential diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia and beta-thalassemia trait. Eur J Haematol. 2007 Jun;78(6):524-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0609.2007.00853.x. Epub 2007 Apr 5. PMID: 17419742.
- Alam S, Purnamasari R, Bahar E, Rahadian K. Mentzer index as a screening tool for iron deficiency anemia in 6-12-year-old children. PI [Internet]. 30Oct.2014;54(5):294-. Available from: https://paediatricaindonesiana.org/index.php/paediatrica-indonesiana/art...
- Ferrara M, Capozzi L, Russo R, Bertocco F, Ferrara D. Reliability of red blood cell indices and formulas to discriminate between beta thalassemia trait and iron deficiency in children. Hematology. 2010 Apr;15(2):112-5. doi: 10.1179/102453310X12583347010098. PMID: 20423571.
- Batebi A, Pourreza A, Esmailian R. Discrimination of beta-thalassemia minor and iron deficiency anemia by screening test for red blood cell indices. Turk J Med Sci
- Fluss R, Faraggi D, Reiser B. Estimation of the Youden Index and its associated cutoff point. Biom J. 2005 Aug;47(4):458-72. doi: 10.1002/bimj.200410135. PMID: 16161804.
Received June 24, 2022.
Accepted July 20, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.