International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(4):606-610.
Originally published December 5, 2022
Background: ETT are widely considered to be more susceptible to fracture than vital teeth and require specialized restorative treatment. The aim of this study was to estimate and compare the fracture resistance (FR) of Endodontically treated teeth (ETT) restored with cast metal posts (CMP) and zirconia posts (ZP) with Universal Testing Machine (UTM).
Methods and Results: A total of 60 intact canines extracted for periodontal reasons were selected for the present study. The tooth samples were randomly divided into 2 groups based on the post type used for restoration. Group 1 tooth samples (n=30) were restored with CMP. Group 2 tooth samples (n-30) were restored with ZP.
All the samples were subjected to compressive load using a UTM at a cross-head speed of 0.5mm/min on the palatal slope at an angle of 135° to the long axis of the tooth. The maximum load necessary to fracture for each specimen was measured in Newtons (N). The results obtained showed that the difference in FR means between CMP and ZP was statistically significant (P<0.0001).
Conclusion: The FR of ZP was found to be significantly higher than those of CMP. The FR analysis with UTM is the only method that enables us to estimate the differences between the ETT restored with CMP and ZP.
1. Qing H, Zhu Z, Chao Y, Zhang W. In vitro evaluation of the fracture resistance of anterior endodontically treated teeth restored with glass fiber and zircon posts. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Feb;97(2):93-8. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2006.12.008.
2. Pereira JR, Neto EMR, Pamato S, Vallell AL, PaulaII VG, VidottiII HA. Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with diferent intraradicular posts with diferent lengths. Brazilian Journal of Oral Sciences. 2013;12(1):1–4.
3. Adanir N, Belli S. Evaluation of different post lengths' effect on fracture resistance of a glass fiber post system. Eur J Dent. 2008 Jan;2(1):23-8.
4. Robbins JW, Earnest LA, Schumann SD. Fracture resistance of endodontically-treated cuspids. Am J Dent. 1993 Jun;6(3):159-61.
5. Maslamani M, Khalaf M, Mitra AK. Association of Quality of Coronal Filling with the Outcome of Endodontic Treatment: A Follow-up Study. Dent J (Basel). 2017 Jan 11;5(1):5. doi: 10.3390/dj5010005.
6. Stewardson DA, Shortall AC, Marquis PM. The effect of the elastic modulus of endodontic posts on static load failure. Int Endod J. 2011 May;44(5):458-68. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2591.2011.01851.x.
7. Machado J, Almeida P, Fernandes S,Marques A,Vaz M. Currently used system of dental post for endodontic treatment. Procedia Structural Integrity. 2017;5: 27-33.
8. Rosenstiel SF,Land MF, Fujimoto J. Contemporary fixed prosthodontics. 4th ed. Mosby, St. Louis; 2006.
9. Akkayan B, Gülmez T. Resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Apr;87(4):431-7. doi: 10.1067/mpr.2002.123227.
10. Glantz PO, Nilner K. The devitalized tooth as an abutment in dentitions with a reduced but healthy periodontium. Periodontol 2000. 1994 Feb;4:52-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0757.1994.tb00005.x.
11. Glazer B. Restoration of endodontically treated teeth with carbon fibre posts--a prospective study. J Can Dent Assoc. 2000 Dec;66(11):613-8.
12. Luu KQ, Walker RT. Corrosion of a nonprecious metal post: a case report. Quintessence Int. 1992 Jun;23(6):389-92.
13. Meyenberg KH, Lüthy H, Schärer P. Zirconia posts: a new all-ceramic concept for nonvital abutment teeth. J Esthet Dent. 1995;7(2):73-80. doi: 10.1111/j.1708-8240.1995.tb00565.x.
14. Rosentritt M, Fürer C, Behr M, Lang R, Handel G. Comparison of in vitro fracture strength of metallic and tooth-coloured posts and cores. J Oral Rehabil. 2000 Jul;27(7):595-601. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2842.2000.00548.x.
15. Bittner N, Hill T, Randi A. Evaluation of a one-piece milled zirconia post and core with different post-and-core systems: An in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Jun;103(6):369-79. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3913(10)60080-7.
16. Bateman G, Ricketts DN, Saunders WP. Fibre-based post systems: a review. Br Dent J. 2003 Jul 12;195(1):43-8; discussion 37. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4810278.
17. Bonfante G, Kaizer OB, Pegoraro LF, do Valle AL. Tensile bond strength of glass fiber posts luted with different cements. Braz Oral Res. 2007 Apr-Jun;21(2):159-64. doi: 10.1590/s1806-83242007000200011.
18. Creugers NH, Käyser AF, van 't Hof MA. A meta-analysis of durability data on conventional fixed bridges. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1994 Dec;22(6):448-52. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.1994.tb00795.x.
19. Rosenstiel SF, Land MF, Crispin BJ. Dental luting agents: A review of the current literature. J Prosthet Dent. 1998 Sep;80(3):280-301. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3913(98)70128-3.
20. O'Keefe KL, Miller BH, Powers JM. In vitro tensile bond strength of adhesive cements to new post materials. Int J Prosthodont. 2000 Jan-Feb;13(1):47-51.
21. Mendoza DB, Eakle WS, Kahl EA, Ho R. Root reinforcement with a resin-bonded preformed post. J Prosthet Dent. 1997 Jul;78(1):10-4. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3913(97)70081-7.
22. Olcay K, Ataoglu H, Belli S. Evaluation of Related Factors in the Failure of Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Cross-sectional Study. J Endod. 2018 Jan;44(1):38-45. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2017.08.029.
23. Saunders WP, Saunders EM. Coronal leakage as a cause of failure in root-canal therapy: a review. Endod Dent Traumatol. 1994 Jun;10(3):105-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-9657.1994.tb00533.x.
24. Guzy GE, Nicholls JI. In vitro comparison of intact endodontically treated teeth with and without endo-post reinforcement. J Prosthet Dent. 1979 Jul;42(1):39-44. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(79)90328-7.
25. Borer RE, Britto LR, Haddix JE. Effect of dowel length on the retention of 2 different prefabricated posts. Quintessence Int. 2007 Mar;38(3):e164-8.
26. Kemaloglu H, Emin Kaval M, Turkun M, Micoogullari Kurt S. Effect of novel restoration techniques on the fracture resistance of teeth treated endodontically: An in vitro study. Dent Mater J. 2015;34(5):618-22. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2014-326.
27. Marchionatti AM, Wandscher VF, Broch J, Bergoli CD, Maier J, Valandro LF, Kaizer OB. Influence of periodontal ligament simulation on bond strength and fracture resistance of roots restored with fiber posts. J Appl Oral Sci. 2014 Sep-Oct;22(5):450-8. doi: 10.1590/1678-775720140067.
28. Kantor ME, Pines MS. A comparative study of restorative techniques for pulpless teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 1977 Oct;38(4):405-12. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(77)90094-4.
29. Robbins JW. Restoration of the endodontically treated tooth. Dent Clin North Am. 2002 Apr;46(2):367-84. doi: 10.1016/s0011-8532(01)00006-4.
30. Sidoli GE, King PA, Setchell DJ. An in vitro evaluation of a carbon fiber-based post and core system. J Prosthet Dent. 1997 Jul;78(1):5-9. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3913(97)70080-5. .
31. Mannocci F, Ferrari M, Watson TF. Intermittent loading of teeth restored using quartz fiber, carbon-quartz fiber, and zirconium dioxide ceramic root canal posts. J Adhes Dent. 1999 Summer;1(2):153-8.
32. Akkayan B, Gülmez T. Resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Apr;87(4):431-7. doi: 10.1067/mpr.2002.123227.
33. Kivanç BH, Alaçam T, Ulusoy OI, Genç O, Görgül G. Fracture resistance of thin-walled roots restored with different post systems. Int Endod J. 2009 Nov;42(11):997-1003. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2591.2009.01609.x.
34. Mentink AG, Meeuwissen R, Käyser AF, Mulder J. Survival rate and failure characteristics of the all metal post and core restoration. J Oral Rehabil. 1993 Sep;20(5):455-61. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2842.1993.tb01631.x.
35. Abduljabba T, Sherfudhin H, Alsaleh S, et.al. Fracture resistance of three post and core systems in endodontically treated teeth restored wit hall-ceramic crowns. King Saud University Journal of Dental Sciences. 2012;3(1):33-8.
36. Heydecke G, Butz F, Hussein A, Strub JR. Fracture strength after dynamic loading of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post-and-core systems. J Prosthet Dent. 2002 Apr;87(4):438-45. doi: 10.1067/mpr.2002.123849.
37. Rosentritt M, Fürer C, Behr M, Lang R, Handel G. Comparison of in vitro fracture strength of metallic and tooth-coloured posts and cores. J Oral Rehabil. 2000 Jul;27(7):595-601. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2842.2000.00548.x.
38. Sorensen JA, Engelman MJ. Ferrule design and fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 1990 May;63(5):529-36. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(90)90070-s.
39. Butz F, Lennon AM, Heydecke G, Strub JR. Survival rate and fracture strength of endodontically treated maxillary incisors with moderate defects restored with different post-and-core systems: an in vitro study. Int J Prosthodont. 2001 Jan-Feb;14(1):58-64.
Received September 30, 2022.
Accepted November 12, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.