International Journal of Biomedicine. 2022;12(4):617-621.
Originally published December 5, 2022
The goal of this research was to evaluate the oral health of the children of the Roma, Ashkali, and Egyptian (RAE) community in relation to toothbrushing frequency.
Methods and Results: A total of 201 children (93 boys and 108 girls) participated in this research. The decayed, missing, and filled teeth (DMFT) index of deciduous teeth and the simplified oral hygiene index (OHI-S) developed by Greene and Vermillion were evaluated in relation to toothbrushing frequency. Our research revealed an important and significant difference in toothbrushing frequency between the variables for F=3.7839 and P=0.0244. Children who brushed their teeth twice a day had a markedly lower DMFT index (3.15±3.29) than children who brushed their teeth less than once a day (4.86±3.81). Also, this group of children for P=0.02 had a markedly lower DMFT index (3.15±3.29) than children who brushed their teeth once a day (4.86±3.81). An important and significant difference was found between plaque index (PI) and toothbrushing frequency (H=7.86, P=0.02).
Conclusion: Difficult economic circumstances and poor oral hygiene are the main factors causing poor oral health in this group of children.
1. Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health. Bull World Health Organ. 2005 Sep;83(9):661-9.
2. Gilchrist F, Marshman Z, Deery C, Rodd HD. The impact of dental caries on children and young people: what they have to say? Int J Paediatr Dent. 2015 Sep;25(5):327-38. doi: 10.1111/ipd.12186.
3. Struzycka I. The oral microbiome in dental caries. Pol J Microbiol. 2014;63(2):127-35.
4. Petersen PE. Challenges to improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Int Dent J. 2004 Dec;54(6 Suppl 1):329-43. doi: 10.1111/j.1875-595x.2004.tb00009.x.
5. Osce.Pasqyrë e komunitetit rom, ashkali dhe egjiptian të kosovës (2020; p. 4). Available online: https://www.osce.org/files/f/documents/c/c/443590_2.pdf .
6. Qendra Evropiane për Çështje të Minoriteteve në Kosovë. Community Profile: Roma Community (2020). Available online: http://www.ecmikosovo.org/uploads/Romacommunity1.pdf.
7. Qendra Evropiane për Çështje të Minoriteteve në Kosovë. Community Profile: Ashkali Community (2020). Available online: http://www.ecmikosovo.org/uploads/Ashkalicommunity1.pdf
8. Qendra Evropiane për Çështje të Minoriteteve në Kosovë. Community Profile: Egyptian Community (2020). Available online: http://www.ecmikosovo.org/uploads/Egyptiancommunity1.pdf
9. Draft Kosovo Program for Gender Equality. Available online: http://www.kryeministriks.net/repository/docs/Draft_Strategjia_per_integ...
10. Baggio S, Abarca M, Bodenmann P, Gehri M, Madrid C. Early childhood caries in Switzerland: a marker of social inequalities. BMC Oral Health. 2015 Jul 22;15:82. doi: 10.1186/s12903-015-0066-y.
11. Zhou Y, Lin HC, Lo EC, Wong MC. Risk indicators for early childhood caries in 2-year-old children in southern China. Aust Dent J. 2011 Mar;56(1):33-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2010.01280.x
12. WHO: Oral Health Country, Area Profile Programme Oral Hygiene Indices. Available online: http:/www.whocollob.od.mah.se/expl/ohiintrod.html.
13. GREENE JC, VERMILLION JR. THE SIMPLIFIED ORAL HYGIENE INDEX. J Am Dent Assoc. 1964 Jan;68:7-13. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.1964.0034.
14. Hilton IV, Stephen S, Barker JC, Weintraub JA. Cultural factors and children's oral health care: a qualitative study of carers of young children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2007 Dec;35(6):429-38. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00356.x.
15. Monaghan N, Heesterman R. Dental caries, social deprivation and enhanced capitation payments for children. Br Dent J. 1999 Mar 13;186(5):238-40. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4800074.
16. Kinirons M, McCabe M. Familial and maternal factors affecting the dental health and dental attendance of preschool children. Community Dent Health. 1995 Dec;12(4):226-9.
17. Szatko F, Wierzbicka M, Dybizbanska E, Struzycka I, Iwanicka-Frankowska E. Oral health of Polish three-year-olds and mothers' oral health-related knowledge. Community Dent Health. 2004 Jun;21(2):175-80.
18. Jose B, King NM. Early childhood caries lesions in preschool children in Kerala, India. Pediatr Dent. 2003 Nov-Dec;25(6):594-600.
19. Gratrix D, Taylor GO, Lennon MA. Mothers' dental attendance patterns and their children's dental attendance and dental health. Br Dent J. 1990 Jun 9;168(11):441-3. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4807233.
20. Tsai AI, Chen CY, Li LA, Hsiang CL, Hsu KH. Risk indicators for early childhood caries in Taiwan. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2006 Dec;34(6):437-45. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00293.x.
21. Petersen PE. The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2003 Dec;31 Suppl 1:3-23. doi: 10.1046/j..2003.com122.x.
22. Dusseldorp E, Kamphuis M, Schuller A. Impact of lifestyle factors on caries experience in three different age groups: 9, 15, and 21-year-olds. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2015 Feb;43(1):9-16. doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12123.
23. Mejàre I, Axelsson S, Dahlén G, Espelid I, Norlund A, Tranæus S, Twetman S. Caries risk assessment. A systematic review. Acta Odontol Scand. 2014 Feb;72(2):81-91. doi: 10.3109/00016357.2013.822548.
24. Chu CH, Fung DS, Lo EC. Dental caries status of preschool children in Hong Kong. Br Dent J. 1999 Dec 11;187(11):616-20; discussion 605. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4800347.
25. Davenport ES. Caries in the preschool child: aetiology. J Dent. 1990 Dec;18(6):300-3. doi: 10.1016/0300-5712(90)90127-z.
26. Blinkhorn AS. The caries experience and dietary habits of Edinburgh nursery school children. Br Dent J. 1982 Apr 6;152(7):227-30. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4804790.
27. Wei SH, Holm AK, Tong LS, Yuen SW. Dental caries prevalence and related factors in 5-year-old children in Hong Kong. Pediatr Dent. 1993 Mar-Apr;15(2):116-9.
28. Holm AK, Blomquist HK, Crossner CG, Grahnén H, Samuelson G. A comparative study of oral health as related to general health, food habits and socioeconomic conditions of 4-year-old Swedish children. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1975 Feb;3(1):34-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.1975.tb00276.x.
29. Stecksen-Blicks C, Holm AK. Between-meal eating, toothbrushing frequency and dental caries in 4-year-old children in the north of Sweden. Int J Paediatr Dent. 1995 Jun;5(2):67-72. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-263x.1995.tb00167.x.
30. Holm AK. Caries in the preschool child: international trends. J Dent. 1990 Dec;18(6):291-5. doi: 10.1016/0300-5712(90)90125-x.
31. Leske GS, Ripa LW, Barenie JT. Comparisons of caries prevalence of children with different daily toothbrushing frequencies. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1976 May;4(3):102-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.1976.tb02107.x.
32. Stecksén-Blicks C, Gustafsson L. Impact of oral hygiene and use of fluorides on caries increment in children during one year. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1986 Aug;14(4):185-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.1986.tb01530.x.
33. Chesters RK, Huntington E, Burchell CK, Stephen KW. Effect of oral care habits on caries in adolescents. Caries Res. 1992;26(4):299-304. doi: 10.1159/000261456.
34. Pine CM, McGoldrick PM, Burnside G, Curnow MM, Chesters RK, Nicholson J, Huntington E. An intervention programme to establish regular toothbrushing: understanding parents' beliefs and motivating children. Int Dent J. 2000;Suppl Creating A Successful:312-23. doi: 10.1111/j.1875-595x.2000.tb00581.x.
35. Stecksén-Blicks C, Sunnegårdh K, Borssén E. Caries experience and background factors in 4-year-old children: time trends 1967-2002. Caries Res. 2004 Mar-Apr;38(2):149-55. doi: 10.1159/000075939.
36. Dale JW. Toothbrushing frequency and its relationship to dental caries and periodontal disease. Aust Dent J. 1969 Apr;14(2):120-3. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.1969.tb04290.x.
37. Town GI. The role of oral hygiene in prevention of periodontal disease and dental caries. N Z Dent J. 1979 Jan;75(339):29-33.
38. Etty EJ, Henneberke M, Gruythuysen RJ, Wöltgens JH. Influence of oral hygiene on early enamel caries. Caries Res. 1994;28(2):132-6. doi: 10.1159/000261634.
39. Mazhari F, Talebi M, Zoghi M. Prevalence of Early Childhood Caries and its Risk Factors in 6-60 months old Children in Quchan. Dental Research Journal. 2007;4(2):96~101.
40. Sharma S, Parashar P, Bansal R, Varshney AM, Shukla AK, Ahmad S, Singh D, Shukla N. Tooth brushing frequency and rinsing habits and their effects on oral hygiene index scores (OHIS) among the school children in Meerut. International Journal of Current Research. 2015;7(5):15728-15731.
Received October 14, 2022.
Accepted November 18, 2022.
©2022 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.