International Journal of Biomedicine. 2023;13(3):169-171.
Originally published September 5, 2023
The aim of this case report is to present an orthodontic technique combined with skeletal anchorage (TADs) in the retromolar region to pull out a right horizontally impacted mandibular second molar (MM2) beneath the third molar (MM3). This treatment approach was performed by extracting the adjacent MM3 lying over the MM2. A miniscrew was inserted in the retromolar region. It required minimal surgical exposure—mucosal incision, crown uncovering, and attaching a bondable button for uprighting MM2 with an elastic chain. Disimpaction was done for several days without any side effects.
- Kaczor-Urbanowicz K, Zadurska M, Czochrowska E. Impacted Teeth: An Interdisciplinary Perspective. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2016 May-Jun;25(3):575-85. doi: 10.17219/acem/37451.
- Bhat M, Hamid R, Mir A. Prevalence of impacted teeth in adult patients: A radiographic study. Int J Appl Dent Sci 2019:5(1):10-12.
- Soh NHBC, Kumar S, Arthi. Prevalence of Impacted Teeth Among Dental Patients - An Institutional Study. European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine. 2020;7(1):1943-1951.
- Patil S, Maheshwari S. Prevalence of impacted and supernumerary teeth in the North Indian population. J Clin Exp Dent. 2014 Apr 1;6(2):e116-20. doi: 10.4317/jced.51284.
- Cassetta M, Altieri F, Di Mambro A, Galluccio G, Barbato E. Impaction of permanent mandibular second molar: a retrospective study. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2013 Jul 1;18(4):e564-8. doi: 10.4317/medoral.18869.
- Shapira Y, Finkelstein T, Shpack N, Lai YH, Kuftinec MM, Vardimon A. Mandibular second molar impaction. Part I: Genetic traits and characteristics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011 Jul;140(1):32-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2009.08.034.
- Turley PK. The management of mesially inclined/impacted mandibular permanent second molars. J World Fed Orthod. 2020 Oct;9(3S):S45-S53. doi: 10.1016/j.ejwf.2020.09.004.
- Selvido DI, Wongsirichat N, Arirachakaran P, Rokaya D, Wongsirichat N. Surgical Management of Impacted Lower Second Molars: A Comprehensive Review. Eur J Dent. 2022 Jul;16(3):465-477. doi: 10.1055/s-0041-1739443.
- Kravitz ND, Yanosky M, Cope JB, Silloway K, Favagehi M. Surgical Uprighting of Lower Second Molars. J Clin Orthod. 2016 Jan;50(1):33-40.
- Altieri F, Guarnieri R, Mezio M, Padalino G, Cipollone A, Barbato E, Cassetta M. Uprighting Impacted Mandibular Second Molar Using a Skeletal Anchorage: A Case Report. Dent J (Basel). 2020 Nov 18;8(4):129. doi: 10.3390/dj8040129.
- Tamer İ, Öztaş E, Marşan G. Up-to-Date Approach in the Treatment of Impacted Mandibular Molars: A Literature Review. Turk J Orthod. 2020 May 21;33(3):183-191. doi: 10.5152/TurkJOrthod.2020.19059.
- Shpack N, Finkelstein T, Lai YH, Kuftinec MM, Vardimon A, Shapira Y. Mandibular Permanent Second Molar Impaction Treatment Options and Outcome. Open Journal of Dentistry and Oral Medicine.2013;1(1):9-14. doi: 10.13189/ojdom.2013.010103
- Yeh JC, Chao CW, Wu YT, Chou CC, Kao CT. Management of Tipped and Impacted Mandibular Second Molars. Taiwanese Journal of Orthodontics. 2018;30(4):Article 6.
- Lee KJ, Park YC, Hwang WS, Seong EH. Uprighting mandibular second molars with direct miniscrew anchorage. J Clin Orthod. 2007 Oct;41(10):627-35.
- Lorente C, Lorente P, Perez-Vela M, Esquinas C, Lorente T. Management of Deeply Impacted Molars with the Miniscrew-Supported Pole Technique. J Clin Orthod. 2018 Nov;52(11):589-97.
Received June 21, 2023.
Accepted July 28, 2023.
©2023 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.