International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(4):329-333.
Originally published December 15, 2019
The purpose of this study was to assess the association of two polymorphic loci Ile105Val/Ala114Val of the GSTP1 gene with the parameters of oxidative stress (OS) in men with infertility.
Materials and Methods: We retrospectively analyzed the results of a survey of 222 men (mean age of 29.9±5.3 years) of infertile couples. A control group of 104 men (30.2±3.6 years) was formed, consisting of healthy men with realized reproductive function. An analysis of the frequency with which the Ile105Val polymorphism of the GSTP1 gene occurred in men with infertility and in fertile men found statistically significant differences (χ2=7.487; P=0.024). When comparing the frequency distribution of the genotypes of the Ala114Val polymorphism of the GSTP1 gene in infertile men and fertile patients, no significant differences were found between the groups (χ2=3.823; P=0.14). In men with infertility, carriers of the heterozygous genotype of the GSTP1 Ile105Val polymorphism presented an increase in reduced glutathione activity by 7% (P=0.0004), a decrease in glutathione reductase activity by 20% (P=0.03) in serum, and a decrease in SOD activity by 8% (P=0.01) in the ejaculate, unlike fertile men with heterozygous polymorphism, who had an increase in the total antioxidant activity of the blood serum by 20% (P=0.0001) and a decrease in glutathione peroxidase activity by 24% (P=0.03) in the ejaculate. In men with infertility, carriers of the heterozygous genotype of the GSTP1 Ala114Val polymorphism presented a decrease in α-tocopherol concentration by 15% (P=0.002), an increase in glutathione peroxidase activity by 25% (P=0.0004) in the blood and a decrease in SOD activity by 7% (P=0.01) in the ejaculate, unlike fertile men with heterozygous polymorphism, who had an increase in the concentration of serum conjugated dienes by 19% (P=0.0001) and a decrease in glutathione-S-transferase activity by 32% (P=0.03) in the ejaculate. Carrier identification of the GSTP1 Ile105Val and Ala114Val polymorphic loci, as well as the determination of the enzymes of the thiol-disulfide system, can be recommended for an additional assessment of the risk of developing reproductive disorders in men.
- Galimov SN, Akhmetov RM, Galimova EF, Bairamgulov FM, Bikkulova LR [Molecular aspects of the impact of the Speroton complex on the male fertility in idiopathic infertility]. Urologiia. 2017;(2):88-92.[Article in Russian].
- Agarwal A, Mulgund A, Sharma R, Sabanegh E Mechanisms of oligozoospermia: an oxidative stress perspective. Syst Biol Reprod Med. 2014;60(4):206-16. doi: 10.3109/19396368.2014.918675
- Ammar O, Haouas Z, Hamouda B, Hamdi H, Hellara I, Jlali A, et al. Relationship between sperm DNA damage with sperm parameters, oxidative markers in teratozoospermic men. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2018;233:70-75. doi: 10.1016/j. ejogrb.2018.12.003.
- Kovac JR, Pastuszak AW, Lamb DJ The use of genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics in identifying biomarkers of male infertility. Fertil Steril 2013; 99(4):998-1007. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2013.01.111.
- Dorostghoal M, Kazeminejad SR, Shahbazian N, Pourmehdi M, Jabbari A. Oxidative stress status and sperm DNA fragmentation in fertile and infertile men. Andrologia. 2017;49(10). doi: 10.1111/and.12762
- Darenskaya MA, Kolesnikov SI, Rychkova LV, Grebenkina LA, Kolesnikova LI. Oxidative stress and antioxidant defense parameters in different diseases: ethnic aspects. Free Rad Biol Med. 2018;120(S1):60. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.04.199
- Yarosh SL, Kokhtenko EV, Curnosov MI, Solodiliva MA, Polonikov AV. Joint effect of glutathione S-transferase genotypes and cigarette smoking on idiopathic maleinfertility. Andrologia. 2015; 47(9):980-986. doi:10.1111/ and.12367.
- Semenova NV, Madaeva IM, Darenskaya MA, Bairova TA, Ievleva KD, Kolesnikova LI Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant system parameters in menopausal women with different glutathione s-transferase M1 genotypes. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2019; 139(S1): S39.
- Glybochko PV, Alyaev YuG, Chalyy ME, Usacheva OA. [Influence of the glutatione S-transferases T1 and M1 gene polymorphisms on androgenic status and semen quality after surgical treatment of varicocele]. Andrology and Genital Surgery. 2013;14(1): 23-26.[Article in Russian].
- Semenova NV, Madaeva IM, Darenskaya MA, Bairova TA, Ievleva KD, Kolesnikova LI Antioxidant system activity in asian menopausal women depending on the glutathione s-transferase M1 and T1 genotypes. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2019;139(S1):S39-S40.
- Agarwal A, Virk G, Ong C, du Plessis SS Effect of oxidative stress on male reproduction. World J Mens Health. 2014;32(1):1-17. doi: 10.5534/wjmh.2014.32.1.1
- Ahmadi S, Bashiri R, Ghadiri-Anari A, Nadjarzadeh A Antioxidant supplements and semen parameters: An evidence based review. Int J Reprod Biomed (Yazd). 2016;14(12):729-736.
- Intasqui P, Antoniassi MP, Camargo M, Nichi M, Carvalho VM, Cardozo KH et al. Differences in the seminal plasma proteome are associated with oxidative stress levels in men with normal semen parameters. Fertil Steril. 2015;104(2):292-301. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2015.04.037.
- Moretti E, Collodel G, Fiaschi AI, Micheli L, Iacoponi F, Cerretani D. Nitric oxide, malondialdheyde and non-enzymatic antioxidants assessed in viable spermatozoafrom selected infertile men. Reprod Bio. 2017;17(4):370-375. doi: 10.1016/j. repbio.2017.10.003.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kurashova NA, Bairova TA, Osipova EV Activity of components of lipid peroxidation system and antioxidant protection in men with infertility, carriers of non-functional genotypes GSTT1 and GSTM1. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 2018;120(S1):S72-S73. doi:10.1016/j. freeradbiomed.2018.04.240.
- Lakpour N, Mirfeizollahi A, Farival S, Akhondi MM, Hashemi SB, Amiriannati N, et al. The association of seminal plasma antioxidant levels and sperm chromatin status with genetic variants of GSTM1 and GSTP1 (Ile105Val and Ala114Val) in infertile men with oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. Dis Markers. 2013;34(3):205-210. DOI:10.3233/DMA-120954.
- Kolesnikova LI, Kurashova NA, Bairova TA, Dolgikh MI, Ershova OA, Korytov LI, Koroleva NV, Dashiev BG Role of glutathione-s-transferase family genes in male infertility. Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine 2017; 163(5): 643-645.
- Kurashova N, Dolgikh MI, Ershova OA, Gavrilova OA, Osipova EV, Dashiev BG, et al. Associations of polymorphic variants of the biotransformation genes with the components of the glutathione system in men with infertility. International Journal of Biomedicine 2017;7(3): 226-230.
- Kan HP, Wu FL, Guo WB, Wang YZ, Li JP, Huang YQ, et al. Null genotypes of GSTM1 and GSTT1 contribute to male factor infertility risk: A meta-analysis. Fertil Steril. 2013;99(3):690-6. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.10.037.
- Safarinejad M, Dadkhah F, Ali Asgari M, Hosseini S, Kolahi AA, Iran-Pour E. Glutathione S-transferase polymorphisms (GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1) and male factor infertility risk: a pooled analysis of studies. Urol J. 2012;9(3):541-8.
- Safarinejad MR, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. The association of glutathione-S-transferase gene polymorphisms (GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1) with idiopathic male infertility. J Hum Genet. 2010;55(9):565-70. doi:10.1038/ jhg.2010.59.
- Tang K, Xue W, Xing Y, Xu S, Wu Q, Liu R, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of glutathione S-transferase M1, T1, and P1, and the assessment of oxidative damage in infertile men with varicoceles from northwestern China. J Androl. 2012;33(2): 257-63. doi:10.2164/ jandrol.110.012468.
- Tirumala Vani G, Mukesh N, Siva Prasad B, Rama Devi P, Hema Prasad M, Usha Rani P, Pardhanandana Reddy P. Role of glutathione S-transferase Mu-1 (GSTM1) polymorphism in oligospermic infertile males. Andrologia. 2010;42(4): 213-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2009.00971.x
- Huang XK, Huang YH, Huang JH, Liang JY Glutathione S-transferase P1 Ile105Val polymorphism and male infertility risk: an updated meta-analysis. Chin Med J. (Engl). 2017;130(8):979-985. doi: 10.4103/0366-6999.204102.
- Zimniak P, Nanduri B, Pikuła S, Bandorowicz-Pikuła J, Singhal SS, Srivastava SK, et al. Naturally occurring human glutathione S-transferase GSTP1-1 isoforms with isoleucine and valine in position 104 differ in enzymic properties. Eur J Biochem. 1994;224(3):893-9.
- Hu X, Xia H, Srivastava SK, Herzog C, Awasthi YC, Ji X, Zimniak P, Singh SV. Activity of four allelic forms of glutathione S-transferase hGSTP1-1 for diol epoxides of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;238(2):397-402.
- Sundberg K, Johansson AS, Stenberg G, Widersten M, Seidel A, Mannervik B, Jernström B. Differences in the catalytic efficiencies of allelic variants of glutathione transferase P1-1 towards carcinogenic diol epoxides of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Carcinogenesis. 1998;19(3):433-6.
- Watson MA, Stewart RK, Smith GB, Massey TE, Bell DA. Human glutathione S-transferase P1 polymorphisms: relationship to lung tissue enzyme activity and population frequency distribution. Carcinogenesis. 1998;19(2):275-80.
- Xiong DK, Chen HH, Ding XP1, Zhang SH, Zhang JH. Association of polymorphisms in glutathione S-transferase genes (GSTM1, GSTT1, GSTP1) with idiopathic azoospermia or oligospermia in Sichuan, China. Asian J Androl. 2015;17(3):481-6. doi: 10.4103/1008-682X.143737.
- Kurashova NA, Bairova TA, Dolgikh MI, Dashiev BG, Kolesnikovа LI. Features of the processes of lipoperoxidation and antioxidant protection in the pathogenesis of infertility in men of different ethnic groups, carriers of nonfunctional polymorphisms of the GSTT1 and GSTM1 genes. International Journal of Biomedicine. 2019;9(1):31-34.
Received October 25, 2019.
Accepted November 21, 2019.
©2019 International Medical Research and Development Corporation.